Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Settle Jct.

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re: Settle Jct.

Unread postby melv03 » Tue Jul 2, 2013 7:53 am

S&C Signalman wrote:Great photos John!

Agreed, excellent photos. I recall this happening, just 2 months following the Penmanshiel tunnel collapse in March. Following this event a significant number of ECML freight workings from Scotland were re routed via the WCML, S&C and Leeds. I used to spend a lot of time in Guiseley Jct box at Shipley in those days with a signalman friend and I recall it was busy! Rare to see freightliners passing the box too!

I guess the Settle Jct accident caused further headaches, how long did it take to fit the single lead Jct and re-open for traffic?

Mel
melv03
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby JBW » Tue Jul 2, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi folks,
Photo 79-463, showing the single turnout, was taken about 10 days after the others, certainly no more than a fortnight later.
This allowed Single Line working over the Up to Wennington, which lasted until the new design was commissioned.
The Locking Diagram for the subsequent alteration is dated 25/6/79, so late July would be a fair estimate for commissioning.
I have the section C draft somewhere, but finding it might take a while.
There are some more photo's of the derailment on the Breakdown Crane Association web pages here:

http://www.bdca.org.uk/gallery/index.ph ... 9/scan0156

which is an interesting site in itself.
S&C Signalman mentioned the HA vans, - which will probably go way off topic, - so least said, soonest mended !!
JBW

Unread postby dysonsphere » Wed Jul 3, 2013 7:50 am

Thats a very nice set of pics John.
dysonsphere
Crossing box
Crossing box

Previous

Return to Signalling - current