Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Queenstown Railway (UK)?

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Queenstown Railway (UK)?

Unread postby DaveHarries » Wed Apr 3, 2013 8:14 pm

Hi all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Having found a photo showing what seems to be a bashed up SB at Queenstown Road, Battersea, London (SW8).....
http://www.theghoststationhunters.com/Other/Signal-Boxes/25533998_LWZqxm#!i=2186677984&k=479KZ32

..... I looked up the site on Google Earth where the image from 27-Jun-2010 seems to show the box still existing. More to the point a link crops up on top of the box and the link in question gives the following info:

Queenstown Railway,
The Old Signalbox,
Queens Road Station,
Queenstown Road,
Battersea,
London,
SW8 4SB

There is also a phone number: 0207 720 6996

Does anyone know any more about this?

HTIOI,
Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Queenstown Railway (UK)?

Unread postby MRFS » Wed Apr 3, 2013 9:33 pm

Moved into Current, as that seems the most appropriate, but not the easiest decision to make!
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby StevieG » Wed Apr 3, 2013 9:37 pm

DaveHarries wrote:Hi all,

Having found a photo showing what seems to be a bashed up SB at Queenstown Road, Battersea, London (SW8).....
http://www.theghoststationhunters.com/Other/Signal-Boxes/25533998_LWZqxm#!i=2186677984&k=479KZ32

..... I looked up the site on Google Earth where the image from 27-Jun-2010 seems to show the box still existing. More to the point a link crops up on top of the box and the link in question gives the following info:

Queenstown Railway,
The Old Signalbox,
Queens Road Station,
Queenstown Road,
Battersea,
London,
SW8 4SB

HTIOI,
Dave
Try here for a start.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ingythewingy/6559404709/
I believe it not uncommon that this location was abbreviated to Queens (or Queen's) Road.

I've an idea that there was an initiative by some sort of railway and/or local history group to make a decent preservation of the box, but haven't happened to hear anything of it for some time now.
I think it was still standing about three years ago when this station was said to be amongst many planned to get platform extensions for longer trains; to be done by NR for the ORR. But I couldn't say what, if anything, has happened more recently, either to platforms or the box.

I never heard of any idea of a model railway in the box, but am not 'close' to the area or info. about its developments. But somehow, I suspect that this thread may well therefore have been inappropriate for the 'Model Railways' forum.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Apr 4, 2013 4:36 am

StevieG wrote:I believe it not uncommon that this location was abbreviated to Queens (or Queen's) Road.

Not so much abbreviated - "Queens Road" was the name of the station until 1980 and I don't believe the box ever adopted the new name for the station.

There is much information plus photographs from some familiar names at:
http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/Q ... ersea.html

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Thu Apr 4, 2013 8:32 am

DaveHarries wrote:Hi all,

Queenstown Railway,
The Old Signalbox,
Queens Road Station,
Queenstown Road,
Battersea,
London,
SW8 4SB

HTIOI,
Dave

The box shown here is or was the North Box which has been out of use as a signalbox for many years (probably taken out of use with the semaphore signals so around 1935/6) although I do believe that for a short period in its recent history that it was a cafe.
signalman wrote:
StevieG wrote:I believe it not uncommon that this location was abbreviated to Queens (or Queen's) Road.

Not so much abbreviated - "Queens Road" was the name of the station until 1980 and I don't believe the box ever adopted the new name for the station.

There is much information plus photographs from some familiar names at:
http://www.wbsframe.mste.co.uk/public/Q ... ersea.html

John

This box was the old south box which was not on the platform end but just past the bridge that carries the lines into Victoria Eastern and used the same walking route as Longhedge Junction to access it. This box lasted much longer being closed by the WARS scheme with the work taken over by Wimbledon ASC. It is interesting that the out of use North box lasted so long where as the old south box was demolished soon after closure.

Graham
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Apr 4, 2013 10:43 am

Fast Line Floyd wrote:This box was the old south box which was not on the platform end but just past the bridge that carries the lines into Victoria Eastern and used the same walking route as Longhedge Junction to access it.

Hmmmm, I don't think it ever carried that name - as far as I know it was Queens Road West from opening in the late 1890s though to the 1936 resignalling, when it became Queens Road.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Thu Apr 4, 2013 12:56 pm

signalman wrote:
Fast Line Floyd wrote:This box was the old south box which was not on the platform end but just past the bridge that carries the lines into Victoria Eastern and used the same walking route as Longhedge Junction to access it.

Hmmmm, I don't think it ever carried that name - as far as I know it was Queens Road West from opening in the late 1890s though to the 1936 resignalling, when it became Queens Road.

John

Opps yes mentally swopped East and West with North and South.

Graham.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby SRS Webmaster » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:48 am

Signal boxes at this station:

1. Nine Elms Junction opened 1878, closed 1897; replaced by new box Queens Road East which closed 1936. Structure then used by P Way deprtment as a mess room and still used thus until 1984 at least.
2. Queens Road Junction opened 1877, renamed Queens Road 1890, closed 1898; replaced by new box Queens Road West which was renamed Queens Road in 1936 and closed in 1990. This is the box seens in the earlier posting in this thread.

Station opened 1877 as Queens Road Battersea and renamed Queenstown Road Battersea in 1980. The signal box name did not change.

John
John Lacy, Webmaster & Publications Officer, Signalling Record Society.
SRS Webmaster

Unread postby DaveHarries » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:02 am

Thanks John.

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - current