Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Manchester - New Chord

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Manchester - New Chord

Unread postby Lovelock-Crewe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:09 pm

Apart from the nightmare of signalling the proposed new Chord between Picc & Vict, M'cr - this surely will do nothing to reduce traffic through London Road (Plats 13 & 14). I bet we could actually run the service we have currently using Picc through Vict instead at this time couldn't we - i.e. all Londons ex Vic would go via Phillips Park to Heaton Norris and the Easterns to Stalybridge. I have a feeling a line was taken out somewhere near Ashton/ Guide Bridge, but I think we could run all through Victoria and close Piccadilly completely?
Lovelock-Crewe
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Manchester - New Chord

Unread postby Lovelock-Crewe » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:34 pm

Incidentally, is it possible for the Freightliner (and Intermodal) Basford Hall/ Trafford Pk to be routed Heaton Norris, Victoria, without running round? I could never understand why so much freight went through the London Road 13 & 14.
Lovelock-Crewe
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby edwin_m » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:10 pm

The Ordsall Chord is merely the first part to be approved of the Northern Hub package of infrastructure enhancements. The rest has now been approved and includes a platform 15 and 16 on a new viaduct south of Piccadilly station, so that there will be two platforms in each direction.

The intermodal trains can only exit Trafford Park eastbound - not only is the line to the west not electfied but it has very few connections to other routes so a train going south would have to run round somewhere in the Liverpool area having taken a long detour in the wrong direction. A train going from Trafford Park via Victoria would have to reverse somewhere east of Deansgate Junction, hence passing through the bottleneck twice!
edwin_m
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Stone » Mon Nov 6, 2017 6:22 pm

Still waiting planning consent for the new platforms at Piccadilly and Grayling is suggesting that "the digital railway" will make them unneccesary. All that has actually happened seems to be that the train planning rules which used to say a maximum of 12 tph Piccadilly to Castlefield Junction to ensure a robust timetable, has changed to 13 plus two extra west of Oxford Road. How you can robustly run more trains off, or onto, three routes rather than two escapes me.
#
Back on signalling, is there any approach control or flashing aspects on MC537/539 at the new Water Street Junction?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby The Planner » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:07 pm

Shouldnt be anything, 30mph across all legs of the junction.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - current