Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Stafford resignalling

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re: Stafford resignalling

Unread postby Mike Stone » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:06 pm

Yarnfield- Norton Bridge finally opened today - Yarnfield Junction appears to be approach controlled with a splitting banner which can never clear for the diverging route.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:26 pm

Mike Stone wrote:Yarnfield- Norton Bridge finally opened today - Yarnfield Junction appears to be approach controlled with a splitting banner which can never clear for the diverging route.

Not Correct.

According to the Signalling Scheme Plan I have access to (usual Health Warning applies), NS4334 on the Up Norton Bridge line (reading from Stoke-on-Trent) towards the new Norton Bridge East Chord has MAYFA control and SC3605 on the Down Fast (reading from Stafford) towards the new Norton Bridge East Chord has MAYFA control. Now you will probably ask what is MAYFA control? When the route is set the junction signal immediately clears to a SINGLE YELLOW (Y) aspect with Junction Indicator lit and the two signals on approach to the junction signal show flashing SINGLE YELLOW (FY) and flashing DOUBLE YELLOW (FYY). The junction signal is then released to a higher aspect (DOUBLE YELLOW or GREEN) depending on advance signal aspects when the junction signal approach train detection section(s) are occupied (axle counters in this case). Hence the banner repeater associated with NS4334 (NS4334BR) has working splitting 'GREEN' banner signal heads for both routes.

The Norton Bridge East Chord is 40mph throughout as are the associated entry/exit switches and crossings.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:38 am

The train I was on certainly didn't receive flashing aspects. Watching on the map the driver of the previous train looked to have reared up and refused the route. The early turn seemed to be sending trains over the flyover if there was a Virgin anywhere about, so maybe they had been caught out by an earlier one and decided to not risk it for later trains. Mine actually stopped in the platform as a VT train passed.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sun Aug 7, 2016 2:41 pm

Subsequently very little use has been made of the chord. The train I was on was brought to a stand in the platform as a VT service passed - has a question been raised regarding compliance with signalling principles? Or is it just LM lack of training?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby brick60000 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 8:25 pm

Stafford No.4 signal box is now fenced off for demolition, with demolition stated to be occuring between Monday 12th & Friday 23rd Setember. Does anyone have a date for the actual demolition of the box itself?

Stafford No.4 signal box demolition - phone pictures so apologies for the low quality by Hope Trains, on Flickr
brick60000
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:16 pm

Gone by yesterday - 16th.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Stone » Fri Oct 7, 2016 5:32 pm

Someone appears to have had a desultory attempt at demolishing the roof of No.5.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby steve thompson » Sat Oct 8, 2016 9:14 pm

Passed it today I see what you mean!
steve thompson
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sun Oct 9, 2016 12:24 pm

Usage of the East Chord by LM Crewe-Euston services now seems to be more common although by no means universal, or consistent train to train. On Friday the late running 15.02 Crewe-Euston used the flyover although it ended up on block 4L18 on the slow and the next train UF was easily a green away.
;
Is the flashing yellow for DS-DF at Doxey ever going to be re-instated?
;
Since last Friday the only progress appears to be having hacked the overhang of the roof back level with the windows.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby brick60000 » Tue Nov 1, 2016 7:13 pm

Has there been a switch to using ARS on the Stafford workstation at Rugby now? It appears that routes are not bring set from platforms and beyond until platform staff give TRTS, and routes do not appear to be set so far in advance. Has there been a change, or is it just a method of working some signallers choose to adopt?
brick60000
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby The Planner » Wed Nov 2, 2016 7:34 am

ARS is on.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Stafford 5 is still only half demolished - it looked as though they had erected scaffolding to support the concrete roof and then removed the windows before breaking up the roof.
'
Today the scaffolding had gone and the box was down to the top of the brickwork.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Stone » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:20 pm

Still more or less the same today
;
A weird move this afternoon 4M25 came fast line from Basford Hall and was crossed to the up slow and then back onto the up fast through platform 3, with nothing about behind it, but the 13.07 from Euston delayed at Queensville - my thought was that for some reason the ARS thinks it should cross slow to fast via P.3, although that's not what the timetable shows. I was also surprised that the map on open train times showed its route set via the DF into 3 - I had assumed the routes shown therein were from the data feeds rather than being calculated by OTT.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:06 am

Mike Stone wrote:Still more or less the same today
;
A weird move this afternoon 4M25 came fast line from Basford Hall and was crossed to the up slow and then back onto the up fast through platform 3, with nothing about behind it, but the 13.07 from Euston delayed at Queensville - my thought was that for some reason the ARS thinks it should cross slow to fast via P.3, although that's not what the timetable shows. I was also surprised that the map on open train times showed its route set via the DF into 3 - I had assumed the routes shown therein were from the data feeds rather than being calculated by OTT.

Moderator Note:As we cannot possibly know what decisions are being made and for what reasons, in modern signalling centres, this post has nothing really to do with the ethos of this forum. Please refrain from making any future such posts.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Mike Stone » Mon Jan 2, 2017 10:06 pm

Stafford No.5 has now gone - I presume demolished in the no-trains period Christmas/Boxing day.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Previous

Return to Signalling - current