Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

North Wales resignalling

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re: North Wales resignalling

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Sat May 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Guards and drivers initially learn the road,sign for it and then refresh any routes they feel the need to when required. On GWML bang road working for passenger trains is to the best of my knowledge is not timetabled and there is no requirement for crews to work over those lines wrong road regularly. Sometimes regulating or planned engineering work dictate otherwise. Therefore traincrews seldom get to work bidirectionally. They are expected to maintain route knowledge by refreshing from normal timetabled services after all you can still see reversable signals from the adjacent lines. Most Tocs also issue route maps and DVDs as aids to memoire.
In the past there were indeed drivers who did only sign a route in one direction only. This was the days of complex routes and signalling which unfortunately have disappeared.
Better get back to North Wales resignalling before the DI gives me a form one for diverting too far off topic!
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Tue May 30, 2017 6:13 pm

Answering the question in the locked thread my understanding is that the new Mostyn loop is not in use as, in theory at least, those at Holywell Junction are still available.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Alan Roberts » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:29 am

Mike Stone wrote:Answering the question in the locked thread my understanding is that the new Mostyn loop is not in use as, in theory at least, those at Holywell Junction are still available.

Mostyn bi-directional goods loop secured out of use until March 2018 (Commissioning date of resignalling)
Holywell Junction down goods loop available but the up goods loop has been out of use (as a loop) for 18 months or more due to defective motor points on the Chester side.
Oh no - Signal wire snapped again !!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanroberts56
Alan Roberts
Branch line box
Branch line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - current