Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

East Kent Resignalling Scheme Phase 2 and associated works

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re: East Kent Resignalling Scheme Phase 2 and associated wor

Unread postby E D Mann » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:56 pm

Peter Gibbons wrote:
John Hinson wrote:
Peter Gibbons wrote:Presumably that means in practice that the Down Loop platform won't be in use, because the existing signal box is in the way, so this will have a major impact on terminating peak hour services at Rochester, which presumably will have to terminate at Strood, or alternatively run through to Maidstone West or Gillingham.

I would have thought they could detrain at the new station, and then proceed forward to the loop in the old station to reverse?

John

I understand that the timetable as originally planned from December 2015 will require some major alterations due to the signalling not being completed due to intensive use of the line in peak hours. Stopping and starting a train then driving it forward just 500 yards to a point where it can reverse is going to reduce the line's capacity somewhat.

Currently, any train formed of more than four vehicles occupies the overlap of the signal in rear (ER6) while using the new down platform. Therefore the vast majority of down services calling at the new station will 'cost' a section. This will cause significant delays during the evening peak unless the track circuits are tweaked (how easy is it to do this?) or the timetable is recast.

Once the new platforms are completed, reversals via the old station will no longer be possible as ER61 points will be plain-lined (insufficient clearance). At present, four terminators a day return north (with another four continuing ECS to Gillingham depot).
E D Mann
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Peter Gibbons » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:00 pm

I was speaking to a senior signalling engineer this evening, and he told me that the resignalling and closure of Rochester, Gillingham, Rainham and Sittingbourne signal boxes is rescheduled to take place in Easter 2016. As soon as Rochester box has been decommissioned it will be quickly demolished to make way the the new Down Loop line and to complete the building of the new Rochester Station and enable the existing station (about 300 yards away) to be closed. The re-control of the Medway Valley line will now not take place, (at least for the moment), but the level crossing gates at Cuxton, East Farleigh and Wateringbury will be replaced with lifting full barriers to be worked from the adjacent existing signal boxes.
Peter G
Peter Gibbons
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby E D Mann » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:01 pm

Yes, the main line part of the scheme is on schedule for Easter 2016, 'just' a year late (if 'Railtour Standard Time' is 1hr late, I guess the resignalling equivalent would be +1 year).

The delay means the Sheerness branch - which wasn't ready this Easter - will probably be completed, but the latest talk is that Higham - Strood (due to move to the Rochester workstation from North Kent 2 w/s at Ashford IECC) may be delayed due to "compatibility issues".

By all accounts, much of the Medway Valley budget has been funnelled to the mainline due to spiralling costs and Atkins have been denied further funding. As alluded to in my July post, two options are being considered: no resignalling, but the crossing upgrades Peter mentions (AIUI the ORR have stipulated this as a minimum requirement after an East Farleigh signaller was seriously injured by a road user earlier this year) or, additionally, resignalling Strood - Maidstone West fringe (the alleged "aspiration"). If the latter happens, the Medway Valley w/s would be graded differently and staffed by signallers from the Valley.

As usual, the standard of information given to staff has been abysmal and I feel for the Medway Valley signallers who, officially, are still in limbo. :roll:
E D Mann
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby E D Mann » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:24 am

Told the Medway Valley is now off the agenda until CP8 at the earliest (2029). Management seriously worried at the potential staffing repercussions.

Higham - Strood definitely not ready for Easter 2016.
E D Mann
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:01 pm

I think you might find some even bigger scheme delays coming up when the new NR Chairmam completes his review of what can be delivered and when. My internal sources tell be than NR is in complete termoil at present ( and do not expect that to change quickly). Anyway back to signalling...... :lol:
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby E D Mann » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:20 pm

E D Mann wrote:Told the Medway Valley is now off the agenda until CP8 at the earliest (2029). Management seriously worried at the potential staffing repercussions.

Higham - Strood definitely not ready for Easter 2016.

Correction: Medway Valley is off the agenda until CP7 (2024) at the earliest. Other than the short-term staffing repercussions, I don't think management are too bothered if it remains as it is. There was no tangible performance benefit from moving it into the ROC and it could be a useful training ground going forward. Just don't mention the wasted money...

Crossings: There is some doubt as to whether Cuxton will be upgraded to an MCB. Dubious value for money as road traffic levels are hardly intensive. The other two are nailed on, however (for reasons previously mentioned).
E D Mann
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby E D Mann » Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:23 pm

S&TEngineer wrote:I think you might find some even bigger scheme delays coming up when the new NR Chairmam completes his review of what can be delivered and when. My internal sources tell be than NR is in complete termoil at present ( and do not expect that to change quickly). Anyway back to signalling......

Turmoil is rather apt! The Tories want NR off the balance sheet ASAP, I think.
E D Mann
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Peter Gibbons » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:18 pm

Last full day of operation today for the 1959 built panel boxes at Rochester, Rainham and Sittingbourne together with the 1913 built signal box at Gillingham. None I believe are going to be preserved and with their passing will go the last of three light junction indicators, certainly in the Southern England if not nationally.

A visit to Rochester yesterday I saw scaffolding being erected around Rochester Panel box presumably to prepare it for immediate demolition, once it is decommissioned after that last train at 01:45 on Good Friday. Some of the old signalling equipment has already been recovered, a number of signals have already been recovered, complete with signal posts and ladders and are sitting in a fenced compound north of the railway line close to what is known as the Riverside Walk.

The panel box currently sits in the way of the new Down Loop line at Rochester, hence early demolition will inevitably be a priority.

No passenger trains running between Swanley/Gravesend to Maidstone West/Faversham/Sheerness throughout the Easter break.
Peter G
Peter Gibbons
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby E D Mann » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:55 pm

Demolition work at Rochester is scheduled to begin on April 4th.

We've been told that Gillingham, Rainham and Sittingbourne will remain in situ for the time being. The original plan was to demolish the top half of Rainham, leaving just the relay room, but apparently all they can afford to do at present is to board up the windows.

Not many service changes; one Gillingham service will be extended to use the bay at Rainham, while the morning Rochester - Blackfriars will now start at Sole Street. Nothing booked to use the temporary 8-car bay at Rochester.
E D Mann
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby StockControl » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:44 am

Anyone got the new signalling diagrams for EKR2. Would be very grateful to be able to look at new layout etc.
StockControl
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby StockControl » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:46 am

" of my old boxes are now defunct with this work Rochester and gillingham
StockControl
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby StockControl » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:47 am

Oh by the way my name is Terence Murch
StockControl
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby StockControl » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:05 pm

Thank you so much E D Mann. Much appreciated. Any mor diagrams of other areas that you may have very welcome.
StockControl
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Peter Gibbons » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:24 pm

StockControl wrote:Anyone got the new signalling diagrams for EKR2. Would be very grateful to be able to look at new layout etc.

Yes, I would like to see these too, if possible, as I once worked all of these boxes too as a rest day relief.
Peter G
Peter Gibbons
Branch line box
Branch line box

PreviousNext

Return to Signalling - current