Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Henwick

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Henwick

Unread postby Mike Stone » Wed May 7, 2014 8:13 am

is some signallling work planned here? There appeared to be foundation work for a REB about half a mile west of the box
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Henwick

Unread postby Adrian the Rock » Wed May 7, 2014 10:35 am

Only planned change I'm aware of is to provide a means of signalling trains directly from Foregate St into the up refuge siding. But this has been in progress for ages, so I've no idea what the latest position is re it.
Adrian the Rock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Stone » Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:46 pm

The down homes have acquired route indicators - it would appear the main signals read to the refuge/turnback.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:44 am

There is an update on the Henwick Turnback works here: https://railwayworld.net/2018/01/08/bri ... #more-1841

I'm a bit confused why they have used 4ft arms on a siding, but hey ho, this is the 'modern' railway we are talking about......
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:28 pm

S&TEngineer wrote:I'm a bit confused why they have used 4ft arms on a siding, but hey ho, this is the 'modern' railway we are talking about......

. . . because it allows drivers to proceed with the confidence the line is clear to the next stop signal rather than proceeding a a speed which allows them to stop short of any obstruction ahead. It has taken a long while for the railway to wake up to the benefits of that, and if I remember correctly it wasn't a milliuon miles from Henwick an issue recently arose with departing on a disc.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:42 pm

John Hinson wrote:
S&TEngineer wrote:I'm a bit confused why they have used 4ft arms on a siding, but hey ho, this is the 'modern' railway we are talking about......

. . . because it allows drivers to proceed with the confidence the line is clear to the next stop signal rather than proceeding a a speed which allows them to stop short of any obstruction ahead. It has taken a long while for the railway to wake up to the benefits of that, and if I remember correctly it wasn't a milliuon miles from Henwick an issue recently arose with departing on a disc.

John

John, Although I agree with your logical thinking, why not just include that in the electrical controls? If I remember correctly the layout at Henwick is fully track circuited (whoops; am I allowed to use that term now :roll: ).

In a similar vein, I once did have an argument about a similar signal/track layout in the Far Southwest. The 4ft arm got changed to a 3ft one with the agreement of the affected TOCs.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:45 pm

Warning: Thread Drift. Did you notice the link that was in the page that I linked to: https://railwayworld.net/2017/12/29/bri ... other-year Think we have a topic to discuss that elsewhere.....
Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Mike Stone » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:06 pm

I appreciate in essence it is no different to a signal reading to the buffer stop light in a bay platform, are there any other examples reading to a siding?
;
Given that the starter and advanced starter have been replaced by a single two-aspect surely the logical thing would have been to replace the signals with three aspect signals and a sub reading to the siding ?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:32 am

S&TEngineer wrote:John, Although I agree with your logical thinking, why not just include that in the electrical controls?

You have lost me. How would a driver know what the electrical controls are? All they can go on are the type of signals they are presented with.
Mike Stone wrote:I appreciate in essence it is no different to a signal reading to the buffer stop light in a bay platform, are there any other examples reading to a siding?

I am reliably informed that at Chadwell Heath a main aspect and theatre indicator "T" reads into the reversing siding.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:07 pm

John Hinson wrote:
S&TEngineer wrote:John, Although I agree with your logical thinking, why not just include that in the electrical controls?

You have lost me. How would a driver know what the electrical controls are? All they can go on are the type of signals they are presented with.
John

Appologies, I wasn't very clear in my post. I meant that if the requirement to prove all track circuits are clear (up to and including any overlap) is included in the electrical controls (in this case, lever lock circuit) then it doesn't require a 4ft arm on the signal because the train is protected by the interlocking itself, even if the train driver is not directly made aware of the fact. Anyway, all a bit debatable as the arms a 4ft one and it will never be changed now......
Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Philb » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:55 pm

As a lifelong Worcester resident this is all very interesting. (Apologies for any incorrect terminology in the following; I am only a keen amateur.) The new signal, one of several new semaphores in the area, has what appears to be a worked distant underneath. I cannot imagine for a minute that it is worked. The third picture in the Railway World article shows the splitting signals on the up line from Malvern. We see HK2 (on) on the right, reading towards Tunnel Junction with the distant (fixed) for Tunnel Junction underneath. (The great diagram on Adrian the Rock's site is very useful here but now out of date!) On the left is HK4 (off) reading towards Shrub Hill. This has gained a distant arm underneath! The distant arm for Shrub Hill is actually (Assuming it is still there?) under HK5 at the far (up) end of Foregate St station. I can only think of two reasons for this. Either the arm under HK5 is now deemed to be too close and so the provision of an outer (?) distant is required, or the following thought process has gone on... New signal is planned. Someone realises that Birmingham trains might also use it and so it requires a distant arm for Tunnel Junction. Somebody then realises that because the route indication is via a theatre indicator, the distant is also reading to shrub hill and has now become a second distant for Shrub Hill. Somebody then realises that if trains starting from here going to Shrub Hill have two distants, then trains from Malvern must have two as well. I must check if the distant arm under HK5 is still there when I go to work on Monday! The new distant arm under HK4 may also be something to do with the 40 year old oddity around trains from Malvern being called-on into an occupied platform at Shrub Hill, of which I can't remember the detail but it will be on this forum somewhere.
Philb
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Fosse Road » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Discussions with two of the Installers involved with the new work reveal the following details: The Distant arm beneath HK5 is under-braked for Shrub Hill Station box Home Signals, so the opportunity was taken during the new work to provide an Outer Distant beneath HK4. Both these Distant signals are Fixed at Caution, as is the Distant beneath HK9 in what is now the Turnback siding. The reason that this signal has a full-sized spectacle casting is because it wasn't possible to obtain another Fixed Distant casting, the only available one being used under HK4. The Green glass is blanked-out. HK22 and HK23 are both motor-worked and both have Route Indicators reading to the Turnback Siding, clearance of the signals into there being approach-released with a suitable time-delay after the relevant lever is reversed.
Fosse Road
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - current