Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Wolverhampton PSB

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re: Wolverhampton PSB

Unread postby Mike Stone » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:45 pm

Many new signals are in use up the Stour, with built in backboard.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Stone » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:57 am

The signal at Bushbury has been erected and has posn 1,2 and 4 indicators - if the speed towards Portobello and Wolves is to be the same I didn't spot any PRIs. Perhaps they will be added after the junction is remodelled?
;
The signal protecting Wolverhampton north on the down is still hinged down but appears to have position 1 and 4 indicators.
;
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:00 am

Mike Stone wrote:The signal protecting Wolverhampton north on the down is still hinged down but appears to have position 1 and 4 indicators.
;

Is this an approved alternative to sticking a big X over a signal not in service?
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby JRB » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:33 am

We always accepted signals lying on the ground before hinged ones. There seems to be little difference.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:30 pm

Perhaps, but you are supposed to challenge a signal lying on the ground if it's supposed to be upright, and not everybody reads their notices :)
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Let's not get petty, please. An uncommissioned signal is not a "missing" signal as far as drivers are concerned.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Lee » Sun May 3, 2015 8:19 am

Wolverhampton PSB signalled it's final train last night. IJ36 New St to Shrewsbury. The box was three months short of fifty years in service.

So long WN PSB.
Lee
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sat May 9, 2015 3:18 pm

Can anyone give the dates between which a route provided from WN101 (P.1) bang road towards Heath Town Junction - there wasn't one on the original re-signalling notice
;
http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/pullfree.asp?Fi ... iveSignals\Downloads\brmr&FileName=1965-745g.pdf
;
and the theatre indicator wasn't removed when the connection at Heath Town, was removed after a long period during which it had components missing.
;
it is on
;
http://www.signallingnotices.org.uk/sca ... 20plan.pdf
;
I do recall being surprised to see some EMU footexes booked to leave platform one that way, which must presumably have been either the 1974 OR 1980 league cup final.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:28 am

It has been reported that alternative routes are available following re-signalling, for instance platform 2 to up Stour via down Stour.

I presume these routes could have been set using individual function switches previously, but would the signals have cleared?

Does the software select the alternative routes?

It is also said that alternative routes are available from the north into 3, although barring loss of detection on the connection nearest the station it's difficult to see what the need is.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby brick60000 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:37 am

Does anyone know what is to happen to the box? It seems to be just sitting there at the minute. I guess, due to the era it originates from it probably has problems in the way of asbestos? Is the plan just to leave it there, seeing as it doesn't seem to be in the way of anything?
brick60000
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby JRB » Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:02 pm

I think they have secular uses planned - offices &c.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby scarpa » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:57 am

Has it been decided what will happen to the panel?Should the National Rail Museum recover examples of different types throughout the UK when panel boxes eventually close.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Webb » Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:39 pm

scarpa wrote:Has it been decided what will happen to the panel?Should the National Rail Museum recover examples of different types throughout the UK when panel boxes eventually close.

The NRM faces considerable problems in collecting such equipment, let alone displaying it. They are suffering funding cut-backs in common with other museums. As a result they have lost staff with knowledge of that area - they had set up a group to try and record what was preserved and where, but the curator organising that has left and we at St Albans South have heard nothing further since. Due to local redevelopment they've also had to vacate storage areas near the museum which they were renting. So they've nowhere to keep such items and little room left to display any more. Hence, in part, the Swindon Panel Preservation group's actions to save that panel independently.

But I agree that examples of different panel types ought to be preserved, and the NRM is the obvious candidate to at least co-ordinate matters. But whether they can do so in present circumstances is open to doubt, alas!

John Webb
(Expressing a personal viewpoint on this occasion.)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Train approaching » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:26 pm

Regarding preservation, there was nothing special about Wolverhampton's panel in the context it didn't control an extremely busy area or complex layout.

I would rather see Birmingham New Street panel preserved, or at least the centre panel, as this would provide much more interest and illustrate a busy and complex layout.

It's planned that the centre panel will be the last one to go at New Street and is scheduled for abolition at Christmas 2017.

Anyone who has ever seen the centre panel signaller in action will testify just how busy it can get!
Train approaching
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:48 pm

Train approaching wrote:I would rather see Birmingham New Street panel preserved, or at least the centre panel, as this would provide much more interest and illustrate a busy and complex layout.

Remember that New Street is a listed building and unless a good reason is found not to, this will include the contents so it may be that your dreams will come true.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Signalling - current