Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Wolverhampton PSB

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re: Wolverhampton PSB

Unread postby Train approaching » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:34 pm

Indeed.

There is however the slight problem of asbestos to deal with, so how much structural damage will be done when it's removed is unclear.

It would be a pity if, like so many other listed signal boxes, it falls into disrepair. I was speaking with a NR engineer only last week and he told me that NR likes to get signal boxes off their books ASAP after they are no longer used for signalling. I suppose that NR could apply to have the listing altered so only the exterior is listed and the interior could, for example , be converted into city centre apartments etc. There's a nice view from the operating floor and even a sun bathing area off the kitchen!

There's also the question of spares. I know when Walsall signal box closed a couple of years ago all the relays were removed for use elsewhere.

I suspect having it listed is the easy part, it's the maintaining of it that will prove difficult once it closes in 2017.
Train approaching
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:22 am

Surely asbestos isn't a problem until it has to be interfered with (such as during demolition)? Such boxes are left as they are whilst active. I do remember a scheme to extend Willesden box to accommodate its new panel comfortably was scuppered when it was discovered asbestos was involved causing the structure to be left well alone until after abolition.

So I don't see any big issues with New Street remaining as it is at closure although we will have to wait to see what will be done with it then. Obviously NR would like to be rid of listed buildings, as does any business, owing to the financial burden and responsibility but I can't see New Street being moved brick by brick to a preserved railway . . .

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Train approaching » Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:47 am

I suppose as a last resort it could be delisted or handed over to a preservation trust of some kind.

What I've been told about News Street is that staff are afraid to even drill a hole in the wall to put up a shelf etc because of the amount of asbestos in the building.

For it's long term future it would have to find a new use post 2017, even if as a signalling museum of some kind, otherwise it will just have the bare minimum of maintenance work carried out on it by NR.

Maintaining something like the preserved Exeter West is relatively easy compared to New Street with its six floors and lift etc. If nothing else I hope the top floor operating room is preserved, although I imagine the gold fish will not form part of the listing!

As this article in today's Daily Mail illustrates, listing guarantees little: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... tures.html

The box celebrates its 50th anniversary next year and it's interesting to see that much of the old layout (ground frames and sidings etc) can still be made out even though they have had vinyl put over them or, in the case of Stechford, something that looks like Tipex put over them to blank them out!
Train approaching
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:39 am

Although it sometimes seems the case that listed buildings fall into dereliction evidence does show NR accept their responsibility for care - see the two boxes at Nairn, for example' or Maiden Newton. I don't think the future of New Street is necessarily as bleak as you fear.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Mike Stone » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:25 pm

Is there a date for remodelling Bushbury - 2018 EAS is published and a quick search reveals nothing there or in 2017?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby The Planner » Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:48 pm

If it happens it will be CP6.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby brick60000 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Does anyone know if the panel remains in the box? The window that looks onto platform 4 was open earlier today and I saw what appeared to be the panels shadow. However just as I went to take a long exposure the window got shut - talk about bad timing!!
brick60000
Crossing box
Crossing box

Previous

Return to Signalling - current