Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Wolverhampton PSB

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Wolverhampton PSB

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:15 pm

I am told that abolition, planned for August bank holiday has been postponed, probably until next Easter.
;
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Wolverhampton PSB

Unread postby The Planner » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:03 pm

No date is set for it as they have to renegotiate the blocks.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:33 pm

Are the "straight" routes changing at Bushbury and Wolverhampton North?
;
The new signal head at Wolverhampton North lying in the cess looks to have a posn 4 JI and there is mention in the network change correspondence to a separate remodelling at Bushbury - I though I had seen a network change notice regarding removal of the slip in the junction, which seemed rather odd as it would preclude movements from Oxley to Wolves reversing in Bushbury loop, but can't find it now.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby The Planner » Wed Oct 8, 2014 6:42 pm

The turnout at Bushbury is planned to go to 60 (like it was donkeys years ago). The call on signals into the loop are being removed as the loop was never permissive anyway.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Sharpey » Wed Oct 8, 2014 9:11 pm

Having been involved in developing the Bushbury S&C scheme up until a few months ago I may be able to shed some light....

The renewal and re-modelling of the S&C at Bushbury Junction was (and presumably still is) due to happen after the re-signalling is complete and consists of a new trailing crossover to the north of the junction between it and the loop access. This then removes the need for the single slip and the trailing crossover on the Grand Junction lines whilst retaining the same functionality. In conjunction with this the junction was due to be an equal 60 / 60 split, the speeds on and off of the Oxley Chord line remaining unchanged.

With the delay in the Wolverhampton scheme I am not sure of the current timescales for the Bushbury works.
Sharpey
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Wed Oct 8, 2014 9:59 pm

It's rather ironic that there must have been thousands of minutes lost over the years of TV diversions - and now they are like hen's teeth the layout is being changed.
;
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby The Planner » Thu Oct 9, 2014 11:39 am

Benefits freight massively though as there will be no approach control or speeding up on the other side, will take 3 minutes out the schedules easily and makes the route easier to plan.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:35 pm

In 1969 the speed was 50/45 from/towards Wolverhampton and 40/30 from/to Bescot - by 1980 it was as now.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Train approaching » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:21 pm

Anyone know why the original date slipped?

I've been told everything from lack of testers to LM and VT objecting to some of the signalling plans.

It's been mentioned that the delay at Wolverhampton may impact on the signalling work at Stafford, due to finish next August.
Train approaching
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:46 pm

The Network Change correspondence certainly had some criticisms from Virgin regarding the possibility that platform three might still not accommodate 11-car 390s.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby The Planner » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:24 am

Nothing to do with objections to the plans, they were signed off ages ago. The Network Change is signed off. It is more contractor led apparently. The issues with Stafford are slightly overblown in my opinion as it is to do with the fringe at Penkridge and can be overcome if need be.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Train approaching » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Didn't VT also sign off the creation of platform 4c at Birmingham New Street, but is now refusing to use platform 5 for its Pendolino services due to its shortened length and in case there is a passenger with a bike in the driving car at the a end of the platform?

Although not directly related to Wolverhampton it shows, if it is correct, that a TOC can change its mind even after the plans have been signed off.
Train approaching
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby The Planner » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:29 pm

Considering the length of time between 4c opening and the issue of 11 cars in platform 5 its hardly relevant. Virgin enjoy throwing the toys out and stamping their feet regardless.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Train approaching » Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:14 am

I've been told that VT gets hit for any delay payments if a Pendolino is sat outside New Street waiting for an empty platform when platform 5 is free. It's been mentioned that this might be challenged before too long!
Train approaching
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:34 am

Please stick to signalling discussion and not perceived railway politics.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Signalling - current