Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Ferriby to Gilberdyke resignalling

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Ferriby to Gilberdyke resignalling

Unread postby colin1501 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:24 pm

Apologies - slightly off topic, but I was alerted by the reference to Ferriby to Gilberdyke resignalling. Is this imminent? I was planning to photograph the existing signalling in a couple of weeks.

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Ferriby to Gilberdyke resignalling

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:44 pm

colin1501 wrote:Apologies - slightly off topic, but I was alerted by the reference to Ferriby to Gilberdyke resignalling. Is this imminent? I was planning to photograph the existing signalling in a couple of weeks.

Yes, it is off topic. I have removed it from the Permanent Speed Signs topic and created a new one for you.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby TerryK » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:48 am

Not due for commissioning until June 2016
TerryK
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby colin1501 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:23 am

Heard a rumour this has been put back to 2017. Can anyone confirm, please?

Thanks,

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby colin1501 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:58 am

Just spotted a reference on the Network Rail 'Compendium of Signal Box Opening Times' dated 4 April this year (in the revision log), stating Oxmardyke and Cave gate boxes have been 'removed' as the crossings have been converted to Manual Controlled Barriers. Can anyone confirm, please? And if so, where are the barriers controlled from?

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:31 am

colin1501 wrote:Just spotted a reference on the Network Rail 'Compendium of Signal Box Opening Times' dated 4 April this year (in the revision log), stating Oxmardyke and Cave gate boxes have been 'removed' as the crossings have been converted to Manual Controlled Barriers. Can anyone confirm, please? And if so, where are the barriers controlled from?

That would suggest they are no longer listed as they are not block posts, or maybe because there is not necessarily somebody in the cabin at any given time. The barriers are still worked from the cabins, those at Cave by wheel. Barriers are raised on request from motorists, although when I visited Cave in May they were being worked for every train - possibly a relief-man present who would not return to his house (as a resident keeper would) when not required.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pete2320 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:54 am

Oxmardyke barriers are wheel operated as well. Pretty sure that Oxmardyke is now "Rule 99" exempt, and has been for a few years.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:17 pm

With apologies . . . Oxmardyke is manned, there is no house here as far as I remember. I was thinking of Crabley Creek which is worked on that basis.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby colin1501 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:04 pm

Then I am still puzzled as to why they have been removed from the compendium, as they used to be shown as manned during certain hours. Neither of them have been block posts for years, and the wording, "the crossings have been converted to manual controlled barriers" suggests there has been some sort of recent change, although I appreciate that both crossings have had barriers operated from the adjacent boxes for some years.

And please excuse my ignorance, but what is Rule 99?

Thanks,

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:17 pm

Rule 99 is the old money way of saying that the gates are normally closed across the road and motorists have to ask to have the gates opened for them. In Victorian times that applied to most crossings, and with the rise in road traffic most are now the other way round. It needed an order for each level crossing that had the gates normally closed to rail.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby colin1501 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:28 pm

Thanks Mike - I understand now. So, as you say, most level crossings on public roads are now Rule 99 exempt. If this is the case with Oxmardyke, then it must be still manned, or controlled remotely, or by Obstacle Detection. The latter seems unlikely, as such equipment would presumably only be installed when full resignalling takes place in a couple of years.

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:01 pm

Oxmardyke is definitely manned. I can't think why it would be Rule 99 exempt - the gates are only occasionally opened for access to a farm on the opposite side of the line and certainly aren't worked as if Rule 99 exemption applies.

Crabley Creek is worked in the same manner and has no need for exemption.

Crossings like Cave have signs instructing motorists to ring a bell to have the gates opened (suggesting to Rule 99 exemption) although as I say on the day I was there they were being opened between trains so the bell. plungers were superflous that day.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pete2320 » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:52 pm

John Hinson wrote:Oxmardyke is definitely manned. I can't think why it would be Rule 99 exempt - the gates are only occasionally opened for access to a farm on the opposite side of the line and certainly aren't worked as if Rule 99 exemption applies.

Crabley Creek is worked in the same manner and has no need for exemption.

Crossings like Cave have signs instructing motorists to ring a bell to have the gates opened (suggesting to Rule 99 exemption) although as I say on the day I was there they were being opened between trains so the bell. plungers were superflous that day.

John

John, I think you are getting some of these mixed up. The road over Oxmardyke goes a considerable distance to the Humber Bank and the village of Blacktoft and indeed is an alternative road to Saltmarshe and Laxton. "Streetview" shows no signs for motorists there but does show a "yodelarm" which I would not expect at a Rule 99 crossing. It was fairly busy when i worked it 40+ years ago! Importantly, it was also the main access route to Broomfleet Brickworks, now gone.
Crabley Creek is a blockpost. It used to switch out at night but nowadays the line is closed overnight so probably remains switched in. This crossing certainly isn't Rule 99 exempt and this road does only lead to a farm immediatley over the railway.
The crossing that has so far not been mentioned is Welton, between Melton Lane and Brough East. Another one time signalbox, its' road essentially leads to a water sport club and I presume not Rule 99 exempt.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:57 am

Absolutely right, Pete! What a mess I have got into.

For Oxmardyke read Crabley Creek this is the one serving only the farm. You ring for the gates.

For Crabley Creek read Welton - this is the one I referred to where you ring for the gates and the keeper comes out from the cottage to put the signals back and opens the gates.

My reference to Cave is correct.

So I don't know what the changes Colin refer to are about. One of those referred to is a block post and the other not. As far as I know nothing has changed, both already had locally controlled barriers and both were still there in May.

The only common factor is that Pete says Oxmardyke is now Rule 99 exempt and Cave seemed to be being worked in that manner (although the road signs suggested otherwise by the presence of a plunger to ring for the gates).

Both are keeping their wheels active but saurely that does not warrant such a change in the Opening Hours booklet.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby si123 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:20 am

colin1501 wrote:Heard a rumour this has been put back to 2017. Can anyone confirm, please?

Thanks,

Colin

Don't know if true but I see they are looking for signallers for multiple posts Hull to Goole, with the speed NR work they won't have anyone trained before July 16.
si123
Trainee
Trainee

Next

Return to Signalling - current