Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

When is an IECC not an IECC

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re: When is an IECC not an IECC

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Sat Apr 1, 2017 12:16 pm

GETS = "General Electric Transportation Systems", manufacturers of....
MCS = "Modular Control System", a proprietary VDU (visual display unit) based railway signalling control system.

TRE = "The Railway Engineering Company", manufacturers of simulators and other support equipment and systems for the various VDU based signalling systems available today.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Sat Apr 1, 2017 4:02 pm

Thanks Signal-sighter :)
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Sat Apr 1, 2017 9:08 pm

Mike Hodgson wrote:I can see why the RAIB had to start putting a glossary at the back of all their reports.

OK .... I'll bite .... I know what an IECC is, but what's a GETS an MCS and a TRE ?

But also see the first post in this chain.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby micron » Sat Apr 1, 2017 10:02 pm

rower40 wrote:Thread bump.
When is an IECC not an IECC?
This weekend, when the BR-Research/AEA-Technology/DeltaRail equipment at Yoker IECC is decommissioned, to be replaced by GETS MCS and Hitachi-TRE Signaller's Assistant.

Just to add to that question, if the smart lock interlocking and the IECC Scalable is in one place (Romford ROC), but the signallers workstation and some SSI's are in another place ( Liv St SC) is it still an IECC of some description?

I do have to say that Liv St SC equipment room does now look a shadow of it's former self :(
micron
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Sun Apr 2, 2017 1:44 am

Yoker IECC East and West workstations were disconnected at 01:17 and 01:26 respectively. So that's that.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Mon Apr 3, 2017 10:19 am

micron wrote:
rower40 wrote:Thread bump.
When is an IECC not an IECC?
This weekend, when the BR-Research/AEA-Technology/DeltaRail equipment at Yoker IECC is decommissioned, to be replaced by GETS MCS and Hitachi-TRE Signaller's Assistant.

Just to add to that question, if the smart lock interlocking and the IECC Scalable is in one place (Romford ROC), but the signallers workstation and some SSI's are in another place ( Liv St SC) is it still an IECC of some description?

I do have to say that Liv St SC equipment room does now look a shadow of it's former self :(

When I was last in there it was a complete mess with attempts to to cool the room sufficiently being made with a series of portable air con units as well as the buildings own air con.

And to answer the question it must be yes because the VDU interface is still an IECC.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Craig » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:04 am

Signal-sighter wrote:GETS = "General Electric Transportation Systems", manufacturers of....
MCS = "Modular Control System", a proprietary VDU (visual display unit) based railway signalling control system.

TRE = "The Railway Engineering Company", manufacturers of simulators and other support equipment and systems for the various VDU based signalling systems available today.

And to round it off General Electric Transportation Systems are now Alstom (who installed Yoker) and TRE are now HICSE (Hitachi Information Control Systems Europe Ltd), their suite of products mostly still carry TRE names though, I've been involved in both Yoker and Newton projects dealing with them both!
Craig
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:13 pm

Bizarre as it may seem but tapping in Integrated Electronic Control Centre into Wikipedia provides a reasonable overall account of IECC within Wikipedia's limits of accuracy. It also details which equipment is installed at each location along with technical information.
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby RonnieCassinello » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:14 pm

Perhaps some of the confusion derives from the term Integrated Electronic Control Centre being so wonderfully non-specific? There's nothing in there to even indicate it's related to railways, let alone to a specific form of control. You could just as easily describe a TV remote control as an IECC!

Ronnie
RonnieCassinello
Crossing box
Crossing box

Previous

Return to Signalling - current