Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Banbury resignalling

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re: Banbury resignalling

Unread postby RDNA » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:37 am

Train approaching wrote:How far was the lever frame in Banbury South reduced to make way for the panel?

Also, I gather that there is a jump in the way the levers are numbered as a result of the reduction.

Thanks

I was on relief there about 8 years ago but I've had to refer to Danny Scroggins photos to remind me...

http://photos.signallingnotices.org.uk/ ... G_0468.JPG

There was one space between lever 61 (blue over brown) and lever 83 (red with white band).

So a reduction of 20 levers?

DB
RDNA
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Train approaching » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:47 am

RDNA wrote:
Train approaching wrote:How far was the lever frame in Banbury South reduced to make way for the panel?

Also, I gather that there is a jump in the way the levers are numbered as a result of the reduction.

Thanks

I was on relief there about 8 years ago but I've had to refer to Danny Scroggins photos to remind me...

http://photos.signallingnotices.org.uk/ ... G_0468.JPG

There was one space between lever 61 (blue over brown) and lever 83 (red with white band).

So a reduction of 20 levers?

DB

I've just found an entry in the Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory and it states that Banbury South originally had an 87 lever frame, but that this was reduced in 1982 to 64 levers although the panel was not installed until 1992.
Train approaching
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:42 am

I seem to recall that somewhere in the Banbury area signal posts lay in the cess for a long while.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby JRB » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:00 pm

See Banbury North Signal Box Facebook page for preservation progress.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:53 pm

Train approaching wrote:I've just found an entry in the Signalling Atlas and Signal Box Directory and it states that Banbury South originally had an 87 lever frame, but that this was reduced in 1982 to 64 levers although the panel was not installed until 1992.

I think I would take that with the proverbial pinch of salt as this 1986 photograph implies otherwise:
Photo: N L Cadge 6/10/86, collection of John Hinson

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Train approaching » Sat May 7, 2016 9:32 am

My copy of Today's Railways UK has just arrived (I'm a subscriber) and there is a big feature on the Banbury boxes, showing many of the signallers at work. It also mentions the closure of Leamington Spa signal box.
Train approaching
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:22 pm

Have they hit a snag? The locomotive hauled set was showing in RTT to go to the depot reception (and indeed still is) post resignalling, but now the trains concerned have been cut back to Bicester North.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby JRB » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:36 pm

Both Banbury boxes close shortly before midnight tonight. South will have 8 hours to salvage spares for Worcester &c. and preservation, upon which a large machine, already lurking, will smash it flat for track laying over the site. North box remains till October with visits bookable. See the Banbury North web site.

Don't look at Banbury web site. Pictures of South box being destroyed are too distressing.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby DaveHarries » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:14 am

JRB wrote:Both Banbury boxes close shortly before midnight tonight. South will have 8 hours to salvage spares for Worcester &c. and preservation, upon which a large machine, already lurking, will smash it flat for track laying over the site. North box remains till October with visits bookable. See the Banbury North web site.

Don't look at Banbury web site. Pictures of South box being destroyed are too distressing.

Glad at least some of the interior of Banbury South has hopefully been salvaged for reuse and preservation prior to demolition: I wonder how much has gone for preservation and what as gone to Worcester etc?

As for the pictures of the demolition of the South box I have already seen a number on groups on Facebook this morning: pity the lever frame wasn't salvaged: I gather that they look the trackside windows out, nudging the lever frame as they did so, and the frame eventually fell to the (inside) base of the box before being lifted out upside down and put on the scrap pile next to what was left of the box. :evil:

Fortunately I went up to Banbury last Saturday (23rd) and got, in all, 107 photos, albeit at the expense of two sunburnt (human) arms, but no internal ones of either box. Will now book a slot onto a tour of North box.

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:46 pm

JRB wrote:Pictures of South box being destroyed are too distressing.

It isn't as if it hasn't happened anywhere before . . .

Perhaps we should be focussing on significant points in history like the loss of the last active Spagnoletti block instrument in use on Network Rail, or did it surreptitiously get replaced earlier?

And also, I think, the last 1947 permissive instruments? Unless you know better, as they say.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby guard_jamie » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:19 pm

The Spag was in place up until the end, video of the last 7-5-5 proves that. Can't think of any 1947 permissives anywhere else. Sad to see the windows and frame obliterated, they could have been useful elsewhere in preservation/NR spares.
doing nothing in particular but doing it very well
guard_jamie
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Jul 30, 2016 3:40 pm

guard_jamie wrote:The Spag was in place up until the end, video of the last 7-5-5 proves that. Can't think of any 1947 permissives anywhere else.

Thanks for the confirmation - I am surprised this wasn't mentioned before.

Best regards,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby AndyB » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:03 am

Are we sure that with the sheer volume of redundant frames on the go that either the preserved railways or Network Rail themselves will miss the Banbury South frame?

We are running in that strange period where there is a glut of redundant equipment, and preserved railways simply won't have room to store it, while Network Rail will have limited uses for it.
AndyB
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby guard_jamie » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:14 am

This is true; I can think of at least one frame and box saved for future use 20 years ago that are still waiting on proper storage, let alone restoration and reuse. And as a 5-bar VT Banbury South's frame isn't anything unusual - I can think of at least two in preserved operation on one railway.
doing nothing in particular but doing it very well
guard_jamie
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby AndyB » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:46 pm

My money would be on saving small frames and boxes - fewer than 30 levers, good for a loop and sidings :)
AndyB
Branch line box
Branch line box

PreviousNext

Return to Signalling - current