Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Banbury resignalling

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Banbury resignalling

Unread postby JRB » Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:47 pm

Work starting in May according to word from Chiltern to Rail Users' Group.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Re: Banbury resignalling

Unread postby The Planner » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:06 pm

Still not decided when the big blocks happen though as they cant sort out Oxford and Hinksey last I heard.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby JRB » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:41 pm

S A V E - O U R - S E M A P H O R E S !
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby actonwells » Sun Feb 1, 2015 2:44 pm

The route might be closed early this week due to other factors! I know there are planned possessions most weekends now. Its easier now that the GWML and Acton Canal Wharf has been cleared for W10 large containers at last! Will be putting it to the test tomorrow!
actonwells
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby JRB » Sun Feb 1, 2015 6:14 pm

The only other factor I know involves terminating and reversing many extra trains at Banbury. There is little chance of any possessions until the landslide is removed (at least another week).
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Romsey » Sun Feb 1, 2015 8:55 pm

Looks like a busy time for Banbury South SB with reversing services.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-31081630

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/landslipleamington

On another (staff based) forum there was a suggestion that SLW could be introduced between Leamington Spa and Fenny Compton.

Cheers, Neil
Romsey
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby JRB » Sun Feb 1, 2015 9:36 pm

They could get very limited traffic by with that SLW, but until the slip is stabilised and when they don't need the other track for access it must wait.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Romsey » Sat Feb 7, 2015 5:01 pm

It now looks as if it will be a long job.
Some freight operators are bidding for diversionary routes for some weeks ahead already. The planned engineering works on the WCML for two weekends in February have been cancelled to keep a London to West Midlands route open.

http://www.networkrail.co.uk/HarburyLandslip/

Regards, Neil
Romsey
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby JRB » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:16 pm

We now have a 'firm' date from NR for closing Banbury N & S boxes. It is 23 July 2016. South box will be demolished immediately to make room for track alterations. North somewhat later.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:55 pm

Is this still firm? Although much of the S&C is in there seems to be no sign of any work on actual signals or even SPT walkways in comparison with time scales at other locations.
;
One place where they do seem to be working is Ahyno though - I thought perhaps there was going to be bi-di from Banbury but
;
http://www.townend.me/files/banbury.pdf.
;
suggests not
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby The Planner » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:06 pm

That diagram was cobbled up from details I gave. Bi-di from Aynho was part of the original scheme but got cut out on cost. I was under the impression that Banbury was now a week later due to the Hinksey blockade moving.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby JRB » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:30 pm

There's a CRUG meeting with Chiltern & NR on Saturday, so we should know more.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby JRB » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:15 pm

CRUG meeting with project manager revealed that, as expected, the change over will be on the July 30/31 weekend.
The new Platform 4 will be long enough for 5 coaches - enough for most, but by no means all, Chiltern dmus and almost all Cross Country trains (twin sets are very unusual) a nd toon short for loco-hauled Chiltern trains. There appear to be no precautions against mis-routing. It will depend on 'signallers' at W.Midlands knowing train and platform lengths.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby The Planner » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:30 pm

Really don't get the issue with the new Platform 4, the timetable isn't changing in the short term to make that a problem and the very small chance of a loco hauled going in could be mitigated by literally saying "Chiltern never use 4", what currently exists for mis-routing something into the up bay now?. I have pasted what I have put in the Historical section for Banbury here too:-

"But the new up platform is longer than the current bay (133m vs 120m) and has passive provision for lengthening it all the way down, unless someone put a 6 car 168 or a double Voyager then I don't see the problem. Due to standards if it was re-signalled with trying to keep platform 4 you would lose some of that length again. To foul the turnout at the north end of the platform loop would need the train to be over 450m long. The north bay is only good for ECS. The benefits outweigh any negatives considerably in my opinion."
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby JRB » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Where is this passive provision? Presumably it is northwards under the bridge. The other way would involve demolishing the platform buildings including the access stairs - obviously not on. I take the point that the north turnout is further out than I anticipated. The up bay "Platform 1a" (not signposted) is not used for passenger traffic normally and can't b used for arrivals anyway. The Down bay is a departure only feature also. Platform 4 is mainly intended for Chiltern trains, so banning them isn't on. We will see.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Next

Return to Signalling - current