Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Cardiff PSB

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Cardiff PSB

Unread postby Mike Stone » Thu May 28, 2015 11:36 am

The remaining S&C for the new junctions in the Long Dyke area were installed over the late May bank holiday and are being commissioned 27/28 June apparently.
;
Can anyone confirm that the existing Cardiff East junction is unaltered at this stage and the correct name for the new junctions, .
;
Christmas 2016 is being quoted for final abolition of Cardiff PSB - has anyone a link to the eventual layout please?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Cardiff PSB

Unread postby DaveHarries » Thu May 28, 2015 10:14 pm

Never heard of Long Dyke: where in the Cardiff area is it?

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Fri May 29, 2015 9:57 am

169m 22 ch - the access to the steel works was off the down relief - I am not sure what the offcial name of the new crossovers is. It seems to often referred to as Cardiff East but that seems unlikely as that is what the connections immediately outside the station are called.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Fri May 29, 2015 2:21 pm

Are we talking about Newton Junction here?
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby elydock » Sat May 30, 2015 3:40 pm

Just for clarification Cardiff East Jn is the eastern station throat, Newtown West is the main to relief crossovers east of there, the old Long Dyke Jn is the junction for the Celsa branch (recently severed) and I believe the new crossovers are now being referred to as Long Dyke.
elydock
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby LAMPMAN » Sun Jun 7, 2015 11:14 pm

This next part of the resignalling at Cardiff will close the East end panel at Cardiff PSB.

The Ebbw Jct workstation will take over as far as Pengam jct and a new workstation will open as Cardiff Mainline

controlling the new junction known as Moorland Road and the new junction at Long Dyke.

Newtown West Jct will taken out of use.

The new workstation will fringe to the Ebbw workstation and Cardiff Middle panel,at this stage Cardiff East Jct is still

under the control of Cardiff Psb
Windy up this Distant

LAMPMAN
LAMPMAN
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Mon Jun 8, 2015 10:03 am

I noticed that bi-di signalling appears to be going to be provided on the DR between Long Dyke and Wentloog, but couldn't tell if it was only for access to the freight terminal (which I thought I remembered being provided but not commissioned before?) or to return to the UR at Wentloog East?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby LAMPMAN » Mon Jun 8, 2015 9:07 pm

Mike Stone wrote:I noticed that bi-di signalling appears to be going to be provided on the DR between Long Dyke and Wentloog, but couldn't tell if it was only for access to the freight terminal (which I thought I remembered being provided but not commissioned before?) or to return to the UR at Wentloog East?

The bi-di signalling is provided for Wentloog over the Down Rlf from Pengam Jct into the West end of the terminal only

or out of Pengam sidings. There is no route from the West end to East of Wentloog via the Down Rlf.

The bi-di on the Down Rlf Long Dyke area will be provided from Cardiff East to Long Dyke only at a later date when

Cardiff Central station gets done.

Hopes this helps
Windy up this Distant

LAMPMAN
LAMPMAN
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby LAMPMAN » Mon Dec 5, 2016 11:50 pm

Don't forget this month is the count down for the closure of Cardiff Panel it closes on the 24th Dec16 for the last time.
Windy up this Distant

LAMPMAN
LAMPMAN
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby LAMPMAN » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:00 am

Cardiff Panel has now closed for last time along with ST Fagans Crossing Box.

RIP Cardiff Panel 1966-2016
Windy up this Distant

LAMPMAN
LAMPMAN
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:22 pm

The signalling notice refers to two- and three-state banners on one page, and white and green banners on another
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby DaveHarries » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:43 pm

For the record, and for anyone interested, I understand from a post on another forum that St. Fagans GB was signed out of use at 2210hrs with Cardiff PSB following at 2230hrs after 50 years of service.

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby sweeper » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:31 pm

Such a pity another one gone I never worked the panel but spoke to them many times from llandaff loop and radyr quarry
sweeper
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby StockControl » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:57 pm

Does anyone have any photos of the new Cardiff workstations. ? Reqd urgently please.
StockControl
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:24 pm

Can anyone say what the reason for the major further reduction in services since the station reopened - quoted as limited platform availability, but of course that was known from the start. Have they not been able to commission the subsidiary signals into the platforms?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Next

Return to Signalling - current