Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Worcester Mechanical Boxes

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Worcester Mechanical Boxes

Unread postby Philb » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:47 pm

As a lifelong resident of the faithful city I will miss the semaphores when they go. I keep hearing reports of them being replaced. Does any one know if this is currently in anybody's plans? At present the point rodding at Tunnel Junction is being renewed. Some similar work including a new yellow disc signal was done at Shrub Hill last summer.
Philb
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Worcester Mechanical Boxes

Unread postby DaveHarries » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:53 pm

Last date I heard for those was 2017-2020.

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:59 am

Philb wrote:As a lifelong resident of the faithful city I will miss the semaphores when they go. I keep hearing reports of them being replaced. Does any one know if this is currently in anybody's plans? At present the point rodding at Tunnel Junction is being renewed. Some similar work including a new yellow disc signal was done at Shrub Hill last summer.

You may not have looked at this part of the web site?
http://www.signalbox.org/sectionc.php?year=2020

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby The Planner » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:43 pm

I'll be amazed if you get anything happening at Worcester until the back end of CP6.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Adrian the Rock » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:54 pm

About a year back I remember hearing about an interim plan to replace one or two of the existing semaphores at TJ with colour lights, but nothing so far seems to have happened. Where has this one got to?
Adrian the Rock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby HighlandRailwayman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:10 pm

That is indeed corrrect, as a SPAD mitigation measure, SH2/3 and TJ6 will be combined into a single R/Y colour light (with cats eyes for the draw ahead move) and moved back in rear of its current location to enable an unrestricted acceptance at SH (providing the 'overlap' track is clear) Design for this and various other minor modifications for the malverns life extension is ongoing currently (including the removal of the lock and block between malvern wells and ledbury) and a re-lock and re-furbishment of the frame at SH - believe the blocks for all this work are booked for middle of 2016
HighlandRailwayman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Location: Testing a lever frame anywhere between Birmingham and Scotland

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:52 pm

SPAD mitigation as in only one signal to pass at danger before a collision instead of two?

Pffff.

J
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby HighlandRailwayman » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:55 pm

John Hinson wrote:SPAD mitigation as in only one signal to pass at danger before a collision instead of two?

Pffff.

J

TJ6 is multi-SPAD as is currently right hand mount bracket canterlevered on the far side of three tracks (down main and sidings inbetween the Up main and the signal) as well as the track being a reverse curve. SH2/3 is also right hand mount and right in the v of the junction pointwork The new signal will be a fog piercing LED so is likely to be more conspicuous to drivers (especially ones that do not understand the nuances of traditional signalling) and thus less likely to be passed at danger.

Thats the main driver behind it anyway. Will be a shame to see both those structures go but it should make for a slightly safer railway in the long term.
HighlandRailwayman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby colin1501 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:32 pm

Not sure I understand the point about drivers who "do not understand the nuances of traditional signalling". Aren't drivers supposed to have route knowledge, and doesn't that include understanding the signalling at a given location?

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:24 pm

I don't accept it will be "slightly safer" than a train checked by Rule 39 (presumbaly - I don't claim to be familiar with the area) at Tunnel Junction and stopped at the Starter awaiting acceptance, with a further signal protecting the junction at Shrub Hill in reserve. That's a lot of signals for a driver to miss in un-pierced fog . . .

Now if it is renewals necessary through old age, or demands of a changed train service, that would be a more justifiable excuse but business-speak such as that doesn't wash with me.

John

(Yeah, yeah, I know it isn't called Rule 39 now)
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:35 pm

HighlandRailwayman wrote:
John Hinson wrote:SPAD mitigation as in only one signal to pass at danger before a collision instead of two?

Pffff.

J

The new signal will be a fog piercing LED so is likely to be more conspicuous to drivers .

Most LED signals which use a cluster of LED's are not fog piecing in the same way that conventional colourlight signals are, infact they are much worse as far as the red and green aspects are concerned (photos can be provided to prove this and indeed have been to Dorman who were unaware of the problem until recently).
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:38 pm

John Hinson wrote:I don't accept it will be "slightly safer" than a train checked by Rule 39 (presumbaly - I don't claim to be familiar with the area) at Tunnel Junction and stopped at the Starter awaiting acceptance, with a further signal protecting the junction at Shrub Hill in reserve. That's a lot of signals for a driver to miss in un-pierced fog . . .

Now if it is renewals necessary through old age, or demands of a changed train service, that would be a more justifiable excuse but business-speak such as that doesn't wash with me.

John

(Yeah, yeah, I know it isn't called Rule 39 now)

These changes came as a response to (I think) two SPADS in fairly quick sucession and was a knee jerk reaction to say 'look we are doing something'.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Adrian the Rock » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:18 pm

HighlandRailwayman wrote:That is indeed corrrect, as a SPAD mitigation measure, SH2/3 and TJ6 will be combined into a single R/Y colour light (with cats eyes for the draw ahead move) and moved back in rear of its current location to enable an unrestricted acceptance at SH (providing the 'overlap' track is clear) Design for this and various other minor modifications for the malverns life extension is ongoing currently (including the removal of the lock and block between malvern wells and ledbury) and a re-lock and re-furbishment of the frame at SH - believe the blocks for all this work are booked for middle of 2016
Interesting - thanks. Will the new C/L be controlled only from SH, or will TJ retain a slot on it too?

I'm also wondering how far back they're planning to move it, as I'd have thought the current TJ6 location was already sufficiently far back to give an acceptable overlap for SH given the low line speed, and there are DMU shunting moves at TJ (such as the "W" move) which involve reversing units across the crossover up to this signal before setting them back to the LOS in rear of TJ5/7/22 and from there on to Foregate St. Or did you mean moved back from the current SH2/3 location?
Adrian the Rock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby HighlandRailwayman » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:11 am

From memory it is being moved about 60 odd meters in rear of the current SH2/3 and will be slotted by TJ6.
HighlandRailwayman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Adrian the Rock » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:49 am

HighlandRailwayman wrote:From memory it is being moved about 60 odd meters in rear of the current SH2/3 and will be slotted by TJ6.
Thanks - that sounds like it makes a lot of sense.

If it's slotted between the two boxes anyway, though, I wonder what function that leaves for the existing acceptance level in SH? At the moment, TJ can presumably run/shunt a train to TJ6 without SH's involvement, but with this setup that would mean putting a train up to SH's home without any form of acceptance.
Adrian the Rock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Next

Return to Signalling - current