Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Cornwall resignalling

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Cornwall resignalling

Unread postby roy hart » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:42 am

A story has appeared on the Cornwall Railway Society website stating that the resignalling has been deferred to 2026. Additionally, as an interim measure to facilitate a half-hourly train service, IBS are to be installed at various spots and possibly a (miniature?) Panel at Roskear junction.

Can anyone confirm, or have more detail?
roy hart
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Cornwall resignalling

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:14 am

Well at the moment the Tender is still out and being worked on by several companies. Not that that means anything. I think we will need to wait and see the results of the Hendy Review into NRs delivery capabilities in CP5 and CP6.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Zoe » Thu Feb 4, 2016 7:31 pm

The Enhancements Delivery Plan Update has now been released in draft form and the details for the Cornwall Capacity Enablling Scheme (page 169 at http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Enhancemen ... Update.pdf) show a first phase of work in CP5 to allow for the 2 tph service from December 2018 with the remainder to follow in CP6.
Zoe
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Stone » Fri Feb 5, 2016 2:48 pm

Interesting document - even if it does give 2017 as completion at Norton Bridge.
;
I do wonder if Hendy's planned reductions in maintenance activities are dead in the water following recent events, particulary Lamington?
;
Going back to the topic at hand it seems peculiar that Cornwall doesn't come higher in priorities in view of the potential staff savings from abolishing 7 boxes, compared with abolishing the likes of Sheffield PSB.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:29 am

The contract for Stage 1 of the resignalling has been awarded to ATKINS. This will allow for the half hourly service to be introduced between Plymouth and Penzance in December 2018: http://www.railstaff.uk/2017/06/12/atki ... -cornwall/
Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:47 am

There's been an unsubstantiated rumour floating around that the TVSC at Didcot may not have the capacity to take over Exeter and Plymouth panels together with Cornwall. The rumour continues that Exeter could become a mini ROC controlling from Nailsea and Lavington though into Devon and Cornwall.
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:22 pm

Ashley Hill wrote:There's been an unsubstantiated rumour floating around that the TVSC at Didcot may not have the capacity to take over Exeter and Plymouth panels together with Cornwall. The rumour continues that Exeter could become a mini ROC controlling from Nailsea and Lavington though into Devon and Cornwall.

One of the full (Stage 2) Devon and Cornwall Resignalling options is to have control based at Exeter Panel.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:50 pm

Would that be permanent or will it eventually pass to TVSC?
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:36 pm

Ashley Hill wrote:Would that be permanent or will it eventually pass to TVSC?

Who knows. Permanent doesn't always mean permanent these days. Its fairly easy to move modern VDU control systems around.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Unread postby DaveHarries » Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:25 pm

Ashley Hill wrote:There's been an unsubstantiated rumour floating around that the TVSC at Didcot may not have the capacity to take over Exeter and Plymouth panels together with Cornwall. The rumour continues that Exeter could become a mini ROC controlling from Nailsea and Lavington though into Devon and Cornwall.

I have heard of this possibility also but did not hear of where control might pass from TVSC to, shall we call it, West of England ROC which, I had also heard, would be the eventual name for TVSC upon expansion of the current building at Didcot. I find it hard not to wonder why one railway website ran an article - https://www.railengineer.uk/2016/10/26/ ... -renewals/ - which gave the transfer of portions of Bristol PSB's area without specifying a date for Bristol South so presumably no decision has yet been made and therefore the possibility of Nailsea to Taunton going to an ROC at Exeter is quite a strong one.

As for Lavington that is Westbury PSB's area which I think would be too big for Exeter to take over in addition to the areas of the boxes at Exeter PSB, Exmouth Junction, Plymouth, Liskeard, Lostwithiel, Par, Truro, Roskear Junction, St. Erth and Penzance. Therefore if I was a betting man (which I am not) then I would think that Westbury PSB's area could be split up as follows:

TVSC: Lavington to Westbury as well as Bathampton to Westbury.
Exeter ROC (if built): Taunton to Westbury including the Frome area.
Basingtoke: Salisbury to Westbury as well as Yeovil Pen Mill (inclusive) to Castle Cary.

Could be interesting to see who takes Westbury, which will eventually have ROCs on all three sides, or whether it is split up as I think it may be.

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby scarpa » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:54 pm

Lets hope Westbury and Exeter panel boxes are retained. They are late 80 s build and could be adapted. Plymouth a little older could be renewed with a ROC eventually controlling the line to Penzance .
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:55 pm

Westbury and Exeter were pretty much out of date when built in the mid 80s when you consider the IECC technology being installed elsewhere. There was a panel for Cornwall planned at Par. The building to house it was built (now the S&T building) but the project stalled.
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:21 am

The new Stage 1 section of mostly two aspect signalling between Truro (Baldu) and St.Erth (Hayle) is going to be controlled by a new OCS panel in Roskear Junction signalbox.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Andrew G » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:01 am

S&TEngineer wrote:The new Stage 1 section of mostly two aspect signalling between Truro (Baldu) and St.Erth (Hayle) is going to be controlled by a new OCS panel in Roskear Junction signalbox.

If it is a simple 2 track main line I'd have thought an IFS panel would be an easier option.
Andrew G
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:50 am

Andrew G wrote:
S&TEngineer wrote:The new Stage 1 section of mostly two aspect signalling between Truro (Baldu) and St.Erth (Hayle) is going to be controlled by a new OCS panel in Roskear Junction signalbox.

If it is a simple 2 track main line I'd have thought an IFS panel would be an easier option.

Appologies. Getting my OCS and IFS muddled up again. It will be an IFS panel with no route indications. :?
Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Next

Return to Signalling - current