Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Norwich - Lowestoft / Great Yarmouth resignalling

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re: Norwich - Lowestoft / Great Yarmouth resignalling

Unread postby ex Probationer » Thu Dec 7, 2017 6:18 pm

Whilst the Acle loop points may already be clamplocks, new control circuitry etc. will be provided which I'm sure would be counted in the resignalling figures. I agree Lowestoft yard has fell into disuse, but following resignalling it ought to be able to accept longer trains, should traffic ever pick-up in future.
ex Probationer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby ex Probationer » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:26 am

I've just realised that all the assumptions made above regarding power point operation are flawed, as we have omitted the facing point lead onto the East Suffolk Line at Oulton Broad North, which is currently mechanically operated!
ex Probationer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:06 pm

I must admit I over looked that one as well but as far as I am concerned nothing much has changed because the trailing crossover points at the junction are clamp lock operated so will they need to be renewed also ? I some how doubt it nor will the one at Acle . So if we stick with your plan for Lowerstoft that still adds up to 22 power operated points.
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Andrew47840 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:05 pm

Hearing there is a blockade of Wherry Lines in February. Anyone know what resignalling work is being done during this closure for 9 days ??

Thanks,
Andrew.
Andrew47840
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mechy » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:26 pm

Andrew47840 wrote:Hearing there is a blockade of Wherry Lines in February. Anyone know what resignalling work is being done during this closure for 9 days ??

Thanks,
Andrew.

The February blockade is to install the new facing crossover at Lowestoft, which will be located around the location of the original Coke Ovens Junction. It will then be secured out of use and cut in to the existing track circuits until final commissioning.

As for the rest of the branch, piling work will be undertaken for the new signals.
Mechy
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Wilkinstown » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:36 am

Wow, 9 days to install a crossover ?
Wilkinstown
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:05 am

So this new facing crossover will be located somewhere near the old coke ovens junction ? Well if it is located here so that it can be used to gain access to the goods yard this means passenger trans will be travelling a long way " Wrong line " just to gain access to platforms 3/4 when it is commissioned . Unless I am missing something here?
I seem to recall several years ago a proposal to close the currant station and relocate it further up the line . I cannot recall the details or where I read it but perhaps they are thinking ahead ?
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby ex Probationer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:13 pm

The train won't be travelling "Wrong Line", it will be on the bi-directional "Up" line under track circuit block. In fact, you have to question whether the trailing crossover at Oulton Broad North will still be required, as East Suffolk line trains could travel from Oulton Broad North along the bi-directional "Up" line into Lowestoft without the need to cross onto the "Down" line.

Just a thought!
ex Probationer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:31 pm

I understand what you are saying perhaps I used the words " wrong line " in the wrong context . I just mean it is a fair distance for a train to travel along for what is plain single line. Plus any train wanting to leave platform two would have to wait until the up line is clear. On the other hand they might move the station trailing crossover further up the line as well in which case it would only have to wait until the fouling point of the crossovers are proved clear before being signalled out thus saving a few minutes. We must wait until the final track layout is in place then we will have a better picture on this matter.
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby ex Probationer » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Mechy wrote:
The February blockade is to install the new facing crossover at Lowestoft, which will be located around the location of the original Coke Ovens Junction. It will then be secured out of use and cut in to the existing track circuits until final commissioning.

I have managed to get a few photo's of the new crossover which will be operated by Clamplocks with supplementary detectors. This will eventually give access to Lowestoft yard, when the existing mechanical ground frame points are fitted with Clamplocks during re-signalling.

The photos were taken by me on the 09/03/2018, the view of the crossover looking in the down direction is compressed as I used the telephoto function, this makes the crossover appear as if it is only about a 15mph turnout, whereas I'm guessing it may actually nearer 40mph.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/85u4qsXM7LwoxJGH2 Photo's of the new facing crossover at Lowestoft.

Kevin
ex Probationer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:54 pm

Now that the vegetation has died back ( or was it cleared ? ) we can see the point and boundary gates leading to ABP on one of the photos . I wonder if they will be ever used again ?. They are not shown on the latest quail Trackmaps book but I have drawn them in on my copy so it is up to date. If they are retained then so will the long head shunt so a couple of extra new shunt signals may be required as well.
So was anything else of note done in this area during the blockade ?
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:45 pm

The trackmap's diagram hasn't changed since the 1998 (first?) edition - looking at Google Earth I would suggest that the were mislead by the SA which also shows all the sidings east of the trailing connection in the up line.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Previous

Return to Signalling - current