Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Norwich - Lowestoft / Great Yarmouth resignalling

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re: Norwich - Lowestoft / Great Yarmouth resignalling

Unread postby micron » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:19 pm

John Hinson wrote:Are intermediate level crossings affected under this scheme? I'm thinking of Lingwood in particular, and its unique Hodgson's Distant Control.

John

Lingwood and Chapel Road crossings
micron
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby ex Probationer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:52 pm

micron wrote:
John Hinson wrote:Are intermediate level crossings affected under this scheme? I'm thinking of Lingwood in particular, and its unique Hodgson's Distant Control.

John

Lingwood and Chapel Road crossings

I think the press release mentioned upgrading 6 crossings, so in addition I'm assuming Brundall, Strumpshaw, Cantley and Oulton Broad North Crossings. I guess all six will become MCB-OD.

Kevin
ex Probationer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby micron » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:13 pm

Not all Kevin, but I can't remember off the top of my head which ones do and which ones don't?
micron
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby ex Probationer » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:45 pm

What's the alternative then, MCB-CCTV controlled by Colchester Box? I suppose Oulton Broad North being the busiest crossing would be a good candidate for MCB-CCTV.
ex Probationer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby ex Probationer » Mon Nov 6, 2017 10:28 pm

KEVIN SMITH wrote:Looks like I was right. Only seven points are now needed at Yarmouth. The picture in the gazette failed to show crossover 20 opposite the signal cabin that's all . Some photos taken of the revised layout taken from from the bypass would be nice ( Not sure if there is a footpath up there ? ).

Between 21-29 October track and signal rationalisation work took place at Great Yarmouth as indicated in Richard Pike's photo of the new signal box diagram. The following photo's show that all the redundant track has been removed together with the mechanical point rodding adjacent to the leadaway, facing point locks, SGE electrical detectors, mechanical detectors and redundant shunt signals. The remaining pointwork is now operated by clamplocks. I'm assuming the track circuits over the points have also been renewed.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w6wvu7o5gbudBfY23 Yarmouth Vauxhall signal box, remaining mechanical main signals and pointwork

All photos taken by me on 6th Nov 2017
ex Probationer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby colin1501 » Tue Nov 7, 2017 5:12 pm

After the work at Yarmouth and Lowestoft, is any rationalisation planned at Brundall and Reedham Junctions? If so, does anyone know when?

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby ex Probationer » Tue Nov 7, 2017 6:39 pm

Currently the only work undertaken so far appears to be at Great Yarmouth. Lowestoft is currently unchanged, though some of what appear to be the concrete bearers for the new point layout are laid on the redundant sidings in the yard, but they are missing the rails. There was no sign at Brundall or Reedham of any trackwork preparations. I did notice that in numerous places along the NYL lines materials such as equipment location bases, troughing etc are awaiting installation. Travelling out of Oulton Broad North on the East Suffolk line, there appeared to work being undertaken at Gravel Pit ABCL, but difficult to tell what.

Kevin
ex Probationer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Wed Nov 8, 2017 5:56 pm

ex Probationer wrote:Currently the only work undertaken so far appears to be at Great Yarmouth. Lowestoft is currently unchanged, though some of what appear to be the concrete bearers for the new point layout are laid on the redundant sidings in the yard, but they are missing the rails. There was no sign at Brundall or Reedham of any trackwork preparations. I did notice that in numerous places along the NYL lines materials such as equipment location bases, troughing etc are awaiting installation. Travelling out of Oulton Broad North on the East Suffolk line, there appeared to work being undertaken at Gravel Pit ABCL, but difficult to tell what.

Kevin

No mention of the removal of Somerleyton Ground Frame and crossover in the above..

The crossover has been replaced by plain line. One road is flatbottom and has been relaid as such. The other road is bullhead and.. has been relaid as such. The sight of new panels of bullhead track and chairs marked 2017 is quite something..
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mad Mac » Wed Nov 8, 2017 6:35 pm

Richard Pike wrote:The sight of new panels of bullhead track and chairs marked 2017 is quite something..

Not wishing to digress too far off-topic, but the Thurso branch was recently relaid in BH.
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby ex Probationer » Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:14 am

colin1501 wrote:After the work at Yarmouth and Lowestoft, is any rationalisation planned at Brundall and Reedham Junctions? If so, does anyone know when?

Colin

This simple guide to the work by Network Rail/Greater Anglia is the best I can find at the moment.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16iqxReDVCRcAB_PcsiPCD4spUXLOmSN1

Interestingly, it indicates that the manually operated level crossing gates are to be replaced by MCB-CCTV crossings.

Kevin
ex Probationer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby colin1501 » Thu Nov 9, 2017 8:47 am

Thanks Kevin - that's really informative, especially on timescales. Slightly amused to see a picture of a lower quadrant signal on the right of the first page - obviously a 'library' shot and definitely not from the area!

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:36 am

I like the photos of Yarmouth as it is now they show most of what we need to see. I read in Rail magazine that the carriage sidings are to be brought back into use to stable the new DMU,S that are to be delivered in the near future . So they will have clear the forest after all.!

As for the rest of the Wherry lines Reedham junction will very likely become a single lead junction so only three point motors needed there. At Lowestoft apart from renewals the only points I think that will be taken out are facing point 50 & single slip 47 along with the double slip in the yard. So only eight point motors are required in total there. A further three at Brundall junction and one at I think at Acle ? that adds up to the 22 new point motors that are needed on this project
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby steve thompson » Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:29 pm

Should it not be two at Acle ?
steve thompson
Crossing box
Crossing box

Previous

Return to Signalling - current