Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Norwich - Lowestoft / Great Yarmouth resignalling

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Norwich - Lowestoft / Great Yarmouth resignalling

Unread postby DaveHarries » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:41 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone saw this in "The Times" yesterday (20-Feb-2016, page 20).....

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/business/industries/transport/article4695178.ece

..... which was accompanied, on page 27, by an item in the "Leading Article" section of the paper - I would link into that but you can't read it without being a subscriber: fortunately my Dad gets "The Times" on Saturdays so I have cut out both articles. The page 20 item seems to imply that the boxes between Norwich and Lowestoft / Great Yarmouth will be abolished later this year. Does anyone know for certain if my assumption is correct, or will the two systems run alongside each other for a while?

I have been thinking of a photographic trip to get these East Anglia boxes in but, then again, I had also been thinking of doing North Wales Coast but I believe that isn't now going to be done until 2017.

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Norwich - Lowestoft / Great Yarmouth resignalling

Unread postby micron » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Dave, I can assure you, they will not be gone by the end of this year.
micron
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby DaveHarries » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:56 am

Thanks nicron.

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby colin1501 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:03 am

Dave - I photographed all the boxes and signalling between Norwich, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft in August last year, and there was absolutely no sign of any impending resignalling work. I seem to recall seeing 2018 suggested on another thread here. Well worth a visit. Lots of wire-operated semaphore distants and, apart from Great Yarmouth, hardly a colour-light to be seen!

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Bradshaw » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:55 pm

I believe the article refers to Network Rail's intention to trial its "digital railway" in this area

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/tech ... nglia.html

the above gives more details
Bradshaw
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby ex Probationer » Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:36 pm

Bradshaw wrote:I believe the article refers to Network Rail's intention to trial its "digital railway" in this area

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/tech ... nglia.html

the above gives more details

Or maybe not now, as this article indicates.

http://www.railtechnologymagazine.com/Track-and-signalling/exclusive-digital-railway-pilot-revised-as-waboso-changes-focus-to-route-challenges

Perhaps the Norwich-Yarmouth-Lowestoft resignalling will be Modular Signalling?
ex Probationer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby scarpa » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:03 pm

In the last couple of weeks I read the resignalling scheme had changed and was going to be a Route relay interlocking scheme which was a change from what was going to be installed.When I remember where I read it I will let you know!
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby micron » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:13 pm

scarpa wrote:In the last couple of weeks I read the resignalling scheme had changed and was going to be a Route relay interlocking scheme which was a change from what was going to be installed.When I remember where I read it I will let you know!

That will be interesting to read when you find it, as I will be very surprised if it is a relay interlocking, as that option has never been mentioned in the office :wink:
micron
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby steve thompson » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:30 pm

I read it in Rail issue 807 Aug 17- Aug 30 page 25.
steve thompson
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby jpvdveer » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:44 pm

Not sure if reported on this forum before but Railway Gazette International recently reported that Network Rail has awarded Atkins a £29m contract to resignal the Norwich - Great Yarmouth/Lowestoft routes by spring 2019. The project covering 42 route-km will include deployment of Alstom ElectroLogIXS digital interlockings and upgrading six level crossings.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/infr ... sword_list

Does anyone know when these works are due to start?
jpvdveer
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Richard Pike » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:51 am

jpvdveer wrote:
Does anyone know when these works are due to start?

I am on the job for renewal of some of the pointwork at Yarmouth and Lowestoft towards the end of October this year.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby JG Morgan » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:31 pm

I'm sure it will look much better than illustrated in Network Rail's press release:
https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.u ... lowestoft#
JG Morgan
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby colin1501 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:09 pm

Why do these NR press releases always refer to new signalling leading to a "safer" railway? Is there any current statistical evidence that there are more accidents on mechanically signalled lines than on power signalled ones?

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby KEVIN SMITH » Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:39 am

Looks like there will be a lot of track rationalization in the Yarmouth area if the pictures in the gazette are anything to go by and with only 22 power operated points being used on the whole project. I envisage only seven needed at Yarmouth with no platform one and the goods siding along side platform four taken out ( I wonder if the ground frame operated release crossover will be retained ? ) With a connection being kept for trains that might use the carriage sidings they will need a chainsaw first before anything can get into there unless the trees have been chopped down recently !
KEVIN SMITH
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby rower40 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:04 pm

colin1501 wrote:Why do these NR press releases always refer to new signalling leading to a "safer" railway? Is there any current statistical evidence that there are more accidents on mechanically signalled lines than on power signalled ones?

"Safer" isn't 100%-identical to "fewer train accidents".
It could be a combination of;
Improved visibility of signals
fewer "I've got a bad back from pulling those heavy levers" sick days.
Reducing the amount of trackside moving parts that S&T have to grease/maintain by going out onto an open-to-traffic railway line
Fewer Signallers exposing themselves to road traffic by operating manual gates http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/rail-firm-denies-crossing-crash-120731/

And probably lots of other risk factors that don't directly relate to one train crashing into another.
rower40
Crossing box
Crossing box

Next

Return to Signalling - current