Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Norton Junction

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Norton Junction

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sat Jun 4, 2016 5:10 pm

Moved from Saltley PSB discussion - JH

What is happening to Norton Junction's signal with Gloucester PSB's semaphore distant?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Saltley PSB

Unread postby DaveHarries » Sat Jun 4, 2016 7:16 pm

Not sure on that one Mike: will post that question on a Facebook group and let you know what comes back.

Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Norton Junction

Unread postby The Planner » Sat Jun 4, 2016 8:30 pm

Mike Stone wrote:What is happening to Norton Junction's signal with Gloucester PSB's semaphore distant?

Nothing happens to any of Norton Junction's signals from what I can see.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Norton Junction

Unread postby actonwells » Sun Jun 5, 2016 12:29 am

I did a visit to a Worcester Shrub Hill a couple of months ago with the local LOM. He told me that the bracket signal at Norton was going to be converted to a colour light along with one of SH signals near Wylds Lane. I know the project at Worcester Shrub Hill is now just a straight forward refurbishment of existing signalling.

Lots of new rodding and wire runs have gone in at Tunnel Junction but I understand this has been abandoned for now due to the location of an underground water source near the tunnel preventing further work.
actonwells
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby DaveHarries » Sun Jun 5, 2016 11:11 am

Someone on a Facebook group posted this:

"I recall the rumour mill saying a year or so ago that the bracket is due for replacement with a colour light and feather/s. After which my box's Dn. Distant will be the last working LQ semaphore distant on NR."

Anyone know how easy it is to land a photo of that bracket at Norton (Worcester) Junction?

Dave
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sun Jun 5, 2016 11:47 am

A photograph by one of our contributers can be found here http://www.roscalen.com/signals/Worcester/NortonJct.htm
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby pbinnersley » Mon Jun 6, 2016 5:43 pm

DaveHarries wrote:Someone on a Facebook group posted this:

"I recall the rumour mill saying a year or so ago that the bracket is due for replacement with a colour light and feather/s. After which my box's Dn. Distant will be the last working LQ semaphore distant on NR."

Anyone know how easy it is to land a photo of that bracket at Norton (Worcester) Junction?

Dave

I haven't been there, but according to my OS map software there is a public footpath west from the road bridge along the north side of the line past the signal. Looking at the angle I would guess this is where the photo at http://www.roscalen.com/signals/Worcester/NortonJct.htm was taken from.

For some reason the footpath is only shown on the 1:25k maps, not the 1:50k.

Regards,

Peter.
pbinnersley
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby DaveHarries » Mon Jun 6, 2016 10:39 pm

Thanks Peter. I have just had a look on an OS Map online and I see what you mean about the footpath as there is one that leads under the line and that can be accessed from just opposite Hatfield Lane. If the weather is decent next weekend I may give it a go.

Cheers,
Dave

DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Jun 7, 2016 11:46 am

Norton Junction NJ9/10 are planned to be renewed as a three aspect colourlight with side mounted position 4 junction indicator. This work is a small scheme for Norton Junction only and is intended to be completed ahead of the main Bromsgrove work. The junction route (NJ10) will have the yellow to green aspect improvement from the same source as the original semaphore distant as Gloucesters G 126R signal. Post Bromsgrove resignalling this will become BA 2656.

Having said that this work is planned ahead of the commissioning of the Bromsgrove scheme I havent yet seen a scheme plan for the Norton Junction work.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Mon Nov 7, 2016 12:04 am

Still a semaphore. Is it fixed or worked from WMSCC?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to Signalling - current