Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

New centre-pivoted LQ at Malvern Wells

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

New centre-pivoted LQ at Malvern Wells

Unread postby Adrian the Rock » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:30 pm

Just seen a friend's photo which shows that the Down Innerhome at Malvern Wells is being renewed as a centre-pivoted LQ as part of the currently ongoing resignalling works here. I've only just got back up off the floor from the shock!

The reason the signal needed renewal is that the exit from the DGL is to be moved a few yards towards Paddington so the pointwork is no longer under an overbridge - the latter apparently makes point maintenance harder these days.

No doubt I'll get some photos of my own before too long.
Adrian the Rock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: New centre-pivoted LQ at Malvern Wells

Unread postby Adrian the Rock » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:30 pm

Here are some photos:-
Cripes, that base mounting looks flaky!

You can also see the new Up Advanced Starting (MW5) in the background here.

Adrian the Rock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:25 pm

Adrian the Rock wrote:Cripes, that base mounting looks flaky!

Doesn't it just! Still, the ladder looks strong enough to hold the post up!

Nice photos, thank you Adrian.
Mike Hodgson
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:43 am

I think you will find that its a screw pile foundation that didn't go in very vertical (i.e. cheap and nasty but good enough to last until ETCS/ERTMS comes along :roll: ).
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:26 pm

Seems odd to put one on a right-hand curve. Lamp sighting the same at a normal LQ but less arm visible. It doesn't look low enough to be close to the loading gauge (note the cage) but if deemed so an upper quadrant signal would be the solution, and that would sight the lamp better (further left) too!

Methinks this was done for novelty value rather than practicality.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:16 pm

John Hinson wrote:Seems odd to put one on a right-hand curve. Lamp sighting the same at a normal LQ but less arm visible. It doesn't look low enough to be close to the loading gauge (note the cage) but if deemed so an upper quadrant signal would be the solution, and that would sight the lamp better (further left) too!

Methinks this was done for novelty value rather than practicality.

John

Sorry but the great and good have decreed that for new work you cannot mix upper and lower quadrant types worked from the same box!
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby scarpa » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:37 pm

Why are ladder prevent climb steel boards now being installed at every signal at least on the former W R where risk of unauthorised access is unlikely ?Is it a new standard ? I have seen them being fitted from Reading to Didcot retrospectively.The original ladder prevent was installed at Reading in the late 70 s and was made of wood. NWR have slipped up as this area will shortly become OHL 25 kv and metal ladders are banned so a tech lifting one of these metal boards off the ladder is at risk of a shock. I suppose we could always install an Earth bond to rail on it.I thought we are trying to save money! I would have no qualms climbing the new signal .Someone got the length of the ladder wrong to short .It must only be a short time before a banner signal is installed they are appearing like confetti these days! Lets hope with Brexit some elements of ETCS/ ERTMS are shelved together with R O C s.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:54 pm

Fast Line Floyd wrote:Sorry but the great and good have decreed that for new work you cannot mix upper and lower quadrant types worked from the same box!

Really? Yet you can mix them with colour-lights?

Is it safe to ride on a train through Ketton?

50% of that arm at Malvern Wells is upper-quadrant anyway.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby HighlandRailwayman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:09 pm

Was a centre pivot for gauging reasons. Signal was originally meant to be 800mm lower but because HSTS are cleared to run on the route and it is a new structure it has to comply with modern gauging regs so had to be raised.

I agree the access platforms are OTT. Personally I feel less safe when on a platform like that then on a traditional structure with a hoop in the small of your back.

Not only is mixing upper and lower a no no from a principles point of view nowadays it's also not good for maintenance as it would be only UQ on the district.
HighlandRailwayman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Location: Testing a lever frame anywhere between Birmingham and Scotland

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:20 pm

John Hinson wrote:
Fast Line Floyd wrote:Sorry but the great and good have decreed that for new work you cannot mix upper and lower quadrant types worked from the same box!

Really? Yet you can mix them with colour-lights?

Is it safe to ride on a train through Ketton?

50% of that arm at Malvern Wells is upper-quadrant anyway.

John

The great and good was mentioned somewhat in jest, there is no prohibition on mixing colourlight and semaphore unless they are on the same structure but that too has a historic precedent at Crewe Junction, Shrewsbury.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby HighlandRailwayman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:12 am

and at Bognor where the distant for Bersted IB signal is underneath the semaphore starter, and is only lit when the semaphore arm is off. I am sure there has been previous discussion on this previously though. I am pretty sure (memory plays tricks though) that Bromfield on the up has CL distant, UQ home and LQ starter - 3 signals, 3 different looks! Sorry, not meaning to stray off topic.
Also, I am not sure the wires will reach this far north and west on the GWML electrification.
HighlandRailwayman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:49 am

HighlandRailwayman wrote:Also, I am not sure the wires will reach this far north and west on the GWML electrification.

I was rather surprised at that suggestion, too - but if they do I doubt any semaphore signals will remain. Electrification and multiple-aspect signalling usually go hand-in-hand.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby elydock » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:01 am

HighlandRailwayman wrote:and at Bognor where the distant for Bersted IB signal is underneath the semaphore starter, and is only lit when the semaphore arm is off. I am sure there has been previous discussion on this previously though. I am pretty sure (memory plays tricks though) that Bromfield on the up has CL distant, UQ home and LQ starter - 3 signals, 3 different looks! Sorry, not meaning to stray off topic.
Also, I am not sure the wires will reach this far north and west on the GWML electrification.

Bromfield is entirely lower quadrant. It sounds like that you are thinking of Dorrington.
elydock
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby HighlandRailwayman » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:45 am

many thanks, knew it was one of those boxes!
HighlandRailwayman
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby rower40 » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:07 pm

Which begs the question...
If a box ALREADY has a mix of upper- and lower-quadrant signals, and a new signal is needed, which sort should it be?
rower40
Crossing box
Crossing box

Next

Return to Signalling - current