Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Points set indicators, Craigentinny Carriage sidings

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Points set indicators, Craigentinny Carriage sidings

Unread postby mossend4 » Mon Aug 1, 2016 11:55 am

I'd meant to post the question a good deal earlier when I first saw 'new ground position light signals' at hand worked points in the south end sidings at Craigentinny TMD.

Having seen them from the train several times now I'm confident they are not standard position light signals because these are hand points, the lever appears to be part of the signal's longitudinal casing which is green in colour and endorsed 'green zone'. They appear to be permanently 'off' and the diagonal position lights are blue in colour. Is this a modern version of a points set indicator? The only unusual thing about use of the sidings is they are used to stable the Royal Scotsman overnight, the set was there when I passed before 0900 this morning and the curtains were still drawn.
mossend4
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Points set indicators, Craigentinny Carriage sidings

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Mon Aug 1, 2016 2:43 pm

These are power operated conversion for hand points operated by a remote control device not unlike a garage door opener. The company that makes them is Zone Green http://www.zonegreen.co.uk/products/ who make all sorts of bits and bobs for maintenance depots but I don't believe any of their products are approved for use on Network Rail controlled infrastructure.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Mon Aug 1, 2016 4:02 pm

Signal-sighter wrote:These are power operated conversion for hand points operated by a remote control device not unlike a garage door opener. The company that makes them is Zone Green http://www.zonegreen.co.uk/products/ who make all sorts of bits and bobs for maintenance depots but I don't believe any of their products are approved for use on Network Rail controlled infrastructure.

I'm bemused by the manufacturer's reference to an 'intuitive' remote control unit. Without a picture of what it looks like, to my mind you need just a 'Left' and 'Right' button and you push the appropriate one as you approach the point - I can't see what's intuitive about that :?
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Mon Aug 1, 2016 7:41 pm

Chris Osment wrote:I'm bemused by the manufacturer's reference to an 'intuitive' remote control unit. Without a picture of what it looks like, to my mind you need just a 'Left' and 'Right' button and you push the appropriate one as you approach the point - I can't see what's intuitive about that :?

If you put the "Left" button on the left, and the "Right" button on the right, that is intuitive - simples!
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby StevieG » Mon Aug 1, 2016 8:29 pm

Devil's advocate for a moment : - I'm wondering if 'Left' is to have points set for a movement to/from 'the left' ; OR, possibly intended to mean close left-hand switch rail (i.e. set for a move to/from 'the right').
Last edited by StevieG on Mon Aug 1, 2016 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Mon Aug 1, 2016 9:03 pm

Moderator fires warning shot; Please keep to the subject in hand and don't digress into sillyness otherwise the editors pen or delete button will come into play.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby StevieG » Mon Aug 1, 2016 10:25 pm

S&TEngineer wrote:Moderator fires warning shot; Please keep to the subject in hand and don't digress into sillyness otherwise the editors pen or delete button will come into play.
Noted, S&TE, thank you, and I apologise for flippancy.

I have great respect for the moderation of these forums, which I believe I have prompted only very rarely.
May I just say that my post, though perhaps misguided in manner of wording, was actually intended to hint at what I believe is a core point, that of potentially opposing interpretations of an apparently simple instruction or label, as being a generally serious one :
With so many involved in, &/or debating / commenting on, rail industry technical matters while understandably not having had a 'traditional' introduction to general railway practicalities, I think it's more difficult than ever to have too much clarity.
However, this thread is perhaps not the place to have put forward this opinion.
( Levity now removed from earlier post.)

And now, I hope others will make post(s) more relevant than my own to this thread's title and its interesting subject.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Return to Signalling - current