Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Greenloaning and other Scottish performance improvements

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Greenloaning and other Scottish performance improvements

Unread postby aberbrothock » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:02 am

Scotrail/Abellio published its detailed performance improvement plan yesterday in response to recent political pressure. One of the items (10.5) refers to plainlining the points and signals at Greenloaning by February 2017. Will that finally spell the end of Greenloaning mechanical box, permanently switched out for many years? There was reference in a previous thread to the possibility of a park and ride at Greenloaning with the box retained for turning back services there - presumably the turnback part of that plan would no longer be possible.

There do not seem to be any other mechanical box closures, but there are several other signalling items - oil lamps repaced by LED lamps on semaphores between Perth-Aberdeen-Inverness; "reliability improvements" between Dyce and Inverurie boxes; renewal of Yoker signalling system by April 2017; banner repeater upgrades to LED types at five locations around Glasgow, and sempahores replaced by colour-lights at Glengarnock and Kirkconnell by January 2017, ground signals replaced by LED versions at Motherwell, Braidhurst, Mossend, and Burhouse by February 2017; and a long list of what to my untutored, non-industry eye simply looks like routine maintenance presented as performance improvement, but perhaps that is too cynical. One intriguing reference (6.1) is to increased reliability from signal cable renewal at Longannet, which I would have thought sees no traffic since the power station closed earlier this year. Is that because faults or thefts of disused cabling there show up on a panel somewhere and disrupt the working railway?

Graham
aberbrothock
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Greenloaning and other Scottish performance improvements

Unread postby Mike Stone » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:07 pm

I don't quite understand item 7.4. If assets are out of use they are presumably clipped out of use , so re-instating them merely means more work clipping them up for "degraded working"?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:47 pm

Mike Stone wrote:I don't quite understand item 7.4. If assets are out of use they are presumably clipped out of use , so re-instating them merely means more work clipping them up for "degraded working"?

If I am reading the same 7.4 as you (there is more than one) I take it this refers to crossovers which might make Single Line Working sections shorter although the modern-speak is distinctly unclear. It isn't detailed what the pre-"out of use" arrangements were but they could have been controlled (with signals) or worked from ground frames. They will obviously have been interlocked with the existing signalling somehow.

At any rate if something is clipped out of use it is out of use (spot the clue) so cannot be unclipped for Single Line Working use on a whim so they do need formally returning to traffic.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Andrew G » Thu Dec 1, 2016 9:24 am

It will be interesting to see the upgrading of semaphore signals at Glengarnock as the box closed at the end of 1985! I can only think they might have meant New Cumnock.
Andrew G
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Benhar Jnc » Mon Apr 3, 2017 12:10 pm

Passed Greenloaning yesterday and from the overbridge it is clear that track rationalisation has been underway. The trailing points from the loop heading towards Dunblane have been disconnected from the main running line.

Didn't get a chance to note what signals (if any) have been removed.
...... another trip working to the Dardanelles
Benhar Jnc
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to Signalling - current