Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

"Inside King's Cross" - programme series on Channel 5

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

"Inside King's Cross" - programme series on Channel 5

Unread postby John Webb » Tue Mar 7, 2017 8:46 pm

I watched this programme last night, the first in a four-part series, and despite the title it roamed up and down the ECML. Of particular signalling interest were the visits to the ROC at York and the station control room at King's Cross. The next episode is on the 13th March; no repeats of the first episode are listed as yet.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Re: "Inside King's Cross" - programme series on Channel 5

Unread postby StevieG » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:29 pm

I don't know how much (if any) control of signalling has been transferred into the ROC at York John, but the Kings Cross station control room, if as it was 4 1/2 years, is a control (co-ordination) and recording of CCTV, station radio, and 'phone communication facility only, staffed by (as featured in the TV prog.) personnel of Network Rail, and Virgin Trains East Coast (and I presume, as one would've thought, GTR Great Northern), and has VDU displays of train positions by headcode, from the network's CCF system or some derivative thereof.

Control of the ECML signalling from Kings Cross - Biggleswade remains (for now) in the 1975/7 KX PSB.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Webb » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:00 am

Thanks - it has been clear in the programs that the King's Cross control room does not control the trains and is for co-ordination between the various interested parties. The impression re signalling is perhaps not so clear - I missed the last programme but up until then there had been no mention I can recall of the PSB at King's Cross, only the ROC at York.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby eriks » Sat Apr 8, 2017 8:18 am

For those wondering about signalling in York ROC the only workstations in the ROC as I understand it are Sheffield, Rotherham and North Lincs (Barnetby, Immingham, to Cleethorpes). York IECC (the blue building) York, Leeds etc is unchanged, and it likely to remain so for the foreseeable future.
eriks
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby StevieG » Sun May 7, 2017 1:11 pm

eriks wrote:"For those wondering about signalling in York ROC the only workstations in the ROC as I understand it are Sheffield, Rotherham and North Lincs (Barnetby, Immingham, to Cleethorpes). .... "
Thanks for that info., eriks.

eriks wrote: " .... York IECC (the blue building) York, Leeds etc is unchanged, and it likely to remain so for the foreseeable future."
Oh dear (relating to those who want to see the transitions). Sounds similar to the large scale move of signalling into Romford ROC not being as imminent as once intended.
One could be forgiven for thinking back to the one-time plan for BR Southern to be controlled from 'only' thirteen boxes; never completed.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Return to Signalling - current