Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Altrincham and Navigation Road

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Altrincham and Navigation Road

Unread postby John Prytherch » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:18 am

Does anyone know why the up main between these places is out of use, all heavy rail traffic using the down main bidirectional line? This seems to have been so since about last December.

The length of track in question includes the (emergency?) connection to the Outbound Metrolink line, which as far as I know has never been used. Could there be some concern about this? Is this connection awaiting removal, as the one at Victoria / Millgate recently was fairly recently removed?

John Prytherch.
John Prytherch
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Altrincham and Navigation Road

Unread postby JG Morgan » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:11 pm

The up line (west side, historically "towards Manchester") has been used by Metrolink trams in both directions since 1992. The down line (east side, historically "towards Altrincham") has been used by heavy rail (BR / Rt / NR) in both directions also for the last 25 years.

There's no indication on the websites of Metrolink or TfGM that trams are not running all the way to Altrincham. What's the basis for your conclusion that the up line has been out of use since December, John?
JG Morgan
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Altrincham and Navigation Road

Unread postby Mark Lamb » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:52 pm

There are four lines between Altrincham and Navigation Road: Inbound & Outbound metrolink lines, and Up Main & bi-directional Down Main NR lines. I travelled from Chester to Stockport last week and we used the Down Main (in the Up direction) - looking out (though dark) the Up Main did seem somewhat rusty.

I wouldn't read too much into this - there may be a faulty bit of P. Way, perhaps something associated with the crossover? Speculation on my part, though.

Regards,

Mark
Mark Lamb
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - current