Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Carmarthen

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Carmarthen

Unread postby Benhar Jnc » Mon Apr 3, 2017 12:34 pm

Was looking at the Railscot website and there's a picture of Carmarthen station https://www.railscot.co.uk/imageenlarge ... p?id=58688 This shows what looks like a headshunt and to my eye a set of trap points protecting a platform running line - operated mechanically.

Would someone with local knowledge describe how this location operates - is only one platform used and the other line is for running round? If so, why are the trap points located where they are? Also note there is no pedestrian footbridge to access the middle platform.

Trust one of our Wales correspondents can offer an operational insight?
...... another trip working to the Dardanelles
Benhar Jnc
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Carmarthen

Unread postby Danny252 » Mon Apr 3, 2017 1:09 pm

The relevant Wikipedia article's photograph for the station illustrates that both platforms can be used, and states that both are used, being connected only by the barrow crossing. Looking up the station on e.g. realtimetrains.com will also show that trains are allocated to both platforms.

The 1972 resignalling notice indicates that Carmarthen Station G.F. operates the points as you say, with the catch points being brought into use at that date, the G.F. being released from Carmarthen Jn. S.B. by an Annett's Key, held in an instrument at the ground frame. However, I can't find any clues as to the slightly unusual placement of the trap points. Notice WW371 of 1972: http://www.s-r-s.org.uk/archivesignals/brwr.php
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Mon Apr 3, 2017 2:37 pm

Surely the point of that arrangement is to provide trapping protection for both platform lines from the headshunt as long as the GF is normal? When originally commissioned, there was still freight traffic from the Pencader line, but I would guess that now the GF is still of value to permit odd vehicles to be stabled in the headshunt if necessary.

It strikes me as an elegant solution, especially now that all regular trains in the area are DMUs or HSTs.
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Apr 3, 2017 2:42 pm

The trackwork below the photographer is non-passenger so has to be trapped from the passenger lines ahead. As the ground frame ensures the diverging points are normally set towards the Up Platform, traps are provided ahead of them to protect that line.

Rathher more intriguingly, when the line continued behind the photographer to Newcastle Emlyn, there were traps on all five lines that converged to the single line across the bridge. Those I cannot explain!

John

(Oops, sorry to step on you Stuart)
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Benhar Jnc » Thu Apr 6, 2017 4:10 pm

Thanks for the responses - particularly about the trap points. It's always interesting to see how signalling and trackwork evolves over the years.
...... another trip working to the Dardanelles
Benhar Jnc
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to Signalling - current