Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Happenings (nearly) UndergrounD?

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Happenings (nearly) UndergrounD?

Unread postby kbarber » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:10 pm

District line shut this weekend Aldgate East - West Ham, various works including "testing new signalling". Meanwhile, a new building has appeared at Whitechapel over the last year, between the tracks at the west end of the station (where the main lines used to run); it is brick, windowless, 2 or 3 sets of doors and provision for lots of cables (though not that many run as yet). So is Whitechapel being resignalled? If so, presumably it'll be controlled from elsewhere, but where? (I'd have thought Neasden makes sense technologically, but Earls Court would be the preferable option operationally.)

I'm given to understand the present box remains manned during traffic hours, even though it runs 'in king' virtually all the time; I'd have thought both the accountants and the poor signalmen would be pleased to see the end of that!

Incidentally, the lamps in the 'A' lights seem to have been renewed recently, they are considerably brighter and the white has a slightly lunar cast. So are LT beginning to use LEDs now?
kbarber
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Happenings (nearly) UndergrounD?

Unread postby Dave J » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:02 pm

kbarber wrote:District line shut this weekend Aldgate East - West Ham, various works including "testing new signalling". Meanwhile, a new building has appeared at Whitechapel over the last year, between the tracks at the west end of the station (where the main lines used to run); it is brick, windowless, 2 or 3 sets of doors and provision for lots of cables (though not that many run as yet). So is Whitechapel being resignalled? If so, presumably it'll be controlled from elsewhere, but where? (I'd have thought Neasden makes sense technologically, but Earls Court would be the preferable option operationally.)

I'm given to understand the present box remains manned during traffic hours, even though it runs 'in king' virtually all the time; I'd have thought both the accountants and the poor signalmen would be pleased to see the end of that!

Incidentally, the lamps in the 'A' lights seem to have been renewed recently, they are considerably brighter and the white has a slightly lunar cast. So are LT beginning to use LEDs now?

I don't know what work is going on this weekend but the new building at Whitechapel perhaps this is the new SER? I went through Whitechapel a few months back and I saw someone come from the signal box when asked about working there he said he will be there until it closes.
The truth and nothing but the truth.
Dave J
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Harsig » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:08 pm

kbarber wrote:District line shut this weekend Aldgate East - West Ham, various works including "testing new signalling". Meanwhile, a new building has appeared at Whitechapel over the last year, between the tracks at the west end of the station (where the main lines used to run); it is brick, windowless, 2 or 3 sets of doors and provision for lots of cables (though not that many run as yet). So is Whitechapel being resignalled?

Not yet. I'm afraid you're reading too much into the 'testing new signalling' that appears under the listed works. You are not the first to do so. The whole of the Sub Surface lines are due to be resignalled and Signal Equipment Rooms are springing up all over the network. The building you describe at Whitechapel is almost certainly one of these. I understand that the principal reason for this weekend's closure is works associated with Crossrail. Any signalling work is merely taking advantage of the closure, and probably consists of installation of equipment. Any testing is likely to be of individual components that have just been installed. We are certainly a long way from a complete and functioning signalling system.
Under the CBTC signalling system the whole of the sub surface lines will be controlled from a new control centre at Hammersmith, which is being fitted out now. At present the plan is that Hammersmith will take control of large areas (Signal Migration Areas or SMA) in one go. Whitechapel is currently part of SMA 3 which covesr the area from Kings Cross to Stepney Green/Monument via Liverpool St. SMA 3 currently has an earliest implementation date of September 2018.
Harsig
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:35 pm

I have read elsewhere that part of the work this weekend is to replace the scissors crossover on the southbound at Harrow South Junction with two separate crossovers. Will the trailing ends still be unworked spring points (question expecting the answer no...)?
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby kbarber » Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks for that Harsig. I didn't think there were enough cables in place yet to run a signalling system, even if they were turning it over to a CBI. And, even if they could save three signalmen's posts, I would have been surprised if the economics stacked up with CBTC coming in. Nice to know I'm not the only one who thought 2 + 2 = 5.5 though.
kbarber
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Dave J » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:14 pm

Stuart Johnson wrote:I have read elsewhere that part of the work this weekend is to replace the scissors crossover on the southbound at Harrow South Junction with two separate crossovers. Will the trailing ends still be unworked spring points (question expecting the answer no...)?

Trailing ends will be powered, all 4' Surelocks.
The truth and nothing but the truth.
Dave J
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby tjc » Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:36 pm

Harrow South was intended originally as a spring toggle conversion in readiness for resignalling, with full renewal originally scheduled for about five years later. The two jobs were combined in one and brought forward to remove the need to pay Thales to support a subsequent track layout change after resignalling - a useful by-product being the elimination of the Clamplock switch diamond.
Signed into use at 0447 - I was Tester in Charge.
tjc
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - current