Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

TD berth contents for non-train use

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

TD berth contents for non-train use

Unread postby rower40 » Tue May 9, 2017 10:08 am

It's quite common to see "-T3-" or "3187" or "BLOK" in a TD berth, indicating the line being closed for some reason or another. Sometimes signallers put in the departure time of a train into a platform berth.

Two questions:

1) Would readers like to list some of the more unusual TD berth sightings they've seen over the years?
2) What does "POTS" mean? Currently at Shenfield Sidings, and Southend Victoria Down Sidings South (Courtesy of Opentraintimes TD maps). I've seen "DETS" indicating that Detonators have been put down.

Thanks...
rower40
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: TD berth contents for non-train use

Unread postby StevieG » Tue May 9, 2017 1:07 pm

Doubtless far from unusual rower40, but remembering back about 20 and more years : -

P0SS (Possession)
ST0P or -N0- (no trains this way; possession commences somewhere ahead)
1S0L [also perhaps BTET] (Blocked To Electric Trains {'Isolation'} )

And no doubt various messages have been interposed in two or more berths along a line signifying a box closure; e.g. GOOD BYE-
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Mark Lamb » Tue May 9, 2017 3:42 pm

Whilst not quite in the manner of what you're seeking, I remember when I was assisting the testing of Chester PSB (before commissioning) that during a particularly quiet spell on the panel in the middle of the night, someone put in YAWN to an adjacent - open - fringe signalbox. A few minutes later the signalman replied ZZZZ.

Happy days,

Mark
Mark Lamb
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby colin1501 » Tue May 9, 2017 3:58 pm

I saw "TREE" on the down slow line west of Winchfield (SW main line) on a particularly windy day in February. It meant exactly what it said!

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Bob Davies » Tue May 9, 2017 5:31 pm

Mark Lamb wrote:Whilst not quite in the manner of what you're seeking, I remember when I was assisting the testing of Chester PSB (before commissioning) that during a particularly quiet spell on the panel in the middle of the night, someone put in YAWN to an adjacent - open - fringe signalbox. A few minutes later the signalman replied ZZZZ.

Happy days,

Mark

Along the same lines, the Carlisle portion of the London-Scotland sleeper was always berthed in Platform 8 at Citadel and from the day Carlisle PSB opened they were described as ZZZZ on the panel.
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Tue May 9, 2017 7:14 pm

Sometimes I have noticed what appear to be peoples names - I'm guessing the PIC's?
;
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Is Line Clear » Thu May 11, 2017 10:29 am

I recall that during the flooding at Blackfriars (last year?) two berths showed
AQUA and
PARK respectively.

Also, when the Eastbourne area was resignalled, there were a number of 'farewells' displayed in the berths by last signalman on duty in the various boxes. I have kept some (rather poor, but readable) screenshots of these.
7-5-5
Is Line Clear
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu May 11, 2017 11:26 am

rower40 wrote:I've seen "DETS" indicating that Detonators have been put down.

Except that it doesn't of course. It doesn't signify or prove a thing. Which is why all such things written in describers is unofficial and potentially confusing or dangerous. It isn't unknown to see "DETS", "TIII" and other supposedly non-moving things move from one berth to the next - just a trolley placed on the line in a possession is enough to do that.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby JG Morgan » Thu May 11, 2017 5:49 pm

Is Line Clear wrote:I recall that during the flooding at Blackfriars (last year?) ...

Are you sure? That would be remarkable as Blackfriars is above the river.
JG Morgan
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby steve thompson » Thu May 11, 2017 8:38 pm

The last day of Sheffield PSB had LONG LIVE SHEF PSB in 4 of the berths :D
steve thompson
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby RDNA » Fri May 12, 2017 6:36 am

Returning to Rower's question -

What does "POTS" mean? Currently at Shenfield Sidings, and Southend Victoria Down Sidings South (Courtesy of Opentraintimes TD maps).

I started interposing "POTS" in various berths at Bletchley Yard during the remodelling there a few years - a reminder that there was a "Possession Of The Sidings" - I also used "SPOS" sometimes - "Siding POSession".

Feeling flippant one day I put "POTS" and "PANS"!

This was a novelty for me as it couldn't be done with older relay based TDs.

DB
RDNA
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Is Line Clear » Fri May 12, 2017 7:55 am

JG Morgan wrote:
Is Line Clear wrote:I recall that during the flooding at Blackfriars (last year?) ...

Are you sure? That would be remarkable as Blackfriars is above the river.

Somewhere around there it was. Water main burst, I think.
7-5-5
Is Line Clear
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby DY444 » Sat May 13, 2017 11:10 am

The engine sidings next to New St PSB where the electric locomotives used to stable had RUST in their TDs berths.

Amongst others I've seen not already mentioned are SHUT, NOGO, NODC and SHED after one blew onto the line
DY444
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Craig » Sat May 13, 2017 7:21 pm

Yeah, we use the TD in this way regularly at Motherwell, -T3-, -LB- or ITEM --7- for example, purely as a reminder of whatever is going on, RUST is another one on lightly used bits such as the Whifflet Basin, another one which may be seen is STAF GONE HOME at Motherwell TMD meaning that the depot chargeman has called in to say there is no one on duty and the derailers have been lowered etc.

It's been a common occurrence in many boxes for years, obviously a little known practice to outsiders until NR started sharing TD data, when I started in Motherwell 20 years ago you couldn't do it with the old TD, not long after the current Vaughan Harmon system was installed where you could do it.
Craig
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby RobMorel » Sun May 14, 2017 1:58 pm

I once took a call from a hysterical train running controller at the TOCs control room demanding to know, and score points by pointing out to the world, why I had signalled a train through an engineers possession (T3)................

So, TREE, BUMP, BTET then SHNT (shunt) or WASH for stuff headed to carriage washer, and where there are back to back possessions it's common to put the item number as it appears in the WON.

"Why have you signalled our train through the block" demanded the TOC controller ??"
'Eh
"At Harpenden 1T21 has been put into the block, i'll have to report you........."
Eh'
Think you'll find thats IT21 (item 21) my old fruit............................
" O'h - click

And as to the AQUA PARK... North of Farringdon on entry into Clerkenwell #1 Tunnel http://bed-pan.homestead.com/IMG_4668.JPG
RobMorel
Crossing box
Crossing box

Next

Return to Signalling - current