Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Manor Road station/Merseyrail IECC at Sandhills

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Manor Road station/Merseyrail IECC at Sandhills

Unread postby prtom91 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 7:38 am

Hi everyone, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place, but I was hoping I could get some help for the signalling portion of a university assignment. The first part of the question asks for the type (make and model) of the following principal parts of the signalling system related to an area of track.
i) Signaller interface (levers, panel or VDU)
ii) Remote Control System
iii) Interlocking
iv) Connection to lineside equipment
v) Signals
vi) Points
vii) Train Detection

The area of track that I have selected is an old design for Manor Road station, with the control from Merseyrail IECC at Sandhills, and I am struggling to find anything about the make and model of the parts above. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
prtom91
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Manor Road station/Merseyrail IECC at Sandhills

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Thu Jul 6, 2017 10:30 am

prtom91 wrote:Hi everyone, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place, but I was hoping I could get some help for the signalling portion of a university assignment. The first part of the question asks for the type (make and model) of the following principal parts of the signalling system related to an area of track.
iii) Interlocking
v) Signals
vi) Points
vii) Train Detection

The area of track that I have selected is an old design for Manor Road station, with the control from Merseyrail IECC at Sandhills, and I am struggling to find anything about the make and model of the parts above. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The power signalling register published by Andy Overton and available at http://bpsr.signallingnotices.org.uk will answer all of your questions.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby prtom91 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 11:07 am

Fast Line Floyd wrote:
prtom91 wrote:Hi everyone, apologies if this is posted in the wrong place, but I was hoping I could get some help for the signalling portion of a university assignment. The first part of the question asks for the type (make and model) of the following principal parts of the signalling system related to an area of track.
iii) Interlocking
v) Signals
vi) Points
vii) Train Detection

The power signalling register published by Andy Overton and available at [url]bpsr.signallingnotices.org.uk[/url] will answer all of your questions.

That's exactly what I'm looking for, thank you very much.
prtom91
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby rower40 » Thu Jul 6, 2017 3:26 pm

(off-topic - and more appropriate to "signalling - historical")

At Collectors Corner (when it resided in a warehouse round the back of Euston station) I bought a block instrument, labelled "Hoylake". From the orientation of "Up" and "Down" legends on the instrument, I deduce that it was from Moreton box, therefore controlling the line through Manor Road. So that would have been in use right up until the IECC/SSI resignalling of that line.

I've still got the block instrument, but it's languishing in my garage (still wrapped in cloth and string).
rower40
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Thu Jul 6, 2017 7:21 pm

Whilst off topic (I'm good at that,sorry John) I too have a Hoylake block,so presumably from West Kirby. Mine came from the Collectors Corner sales stand at Ashford open day.
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Danny252 » Sun Jul 9, 2017 1:56 pm

Out of interest, what is the expected route/method to find this information on your university course? It seems odd to me that a student would be expected to find relatively obscure information via internet forums or unofficial (but very good!) lists of signalling installations!
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:37 am

Danny252 wrote:Out of interest, what is the expected route/method to find this information on your university course? It seems odd to me that a student would be expected to find relatively obscure information via internet forums or unofficial (but very good!) lists of signalling installations!

I tutor for the IRO degree course and believe me if sources are legit we would expect our students to use them.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Return to Signalling - current