Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Hebden Bridge

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Hebden Bridge

Unread postby Mike Stone » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:08 pm

Some signalling work in progress in the Mytholmroyd area, presumably in connection with additional services required by Northern franchise. Is the box being abolished or just extra signals?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Hebden Bridge

Unread postby Chris L » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:03 am

As I understand it, this is preparatory work for the "migration" of the Hebden Bridge - Bradford section of the Calder Valley line to York ROC, which I believe is scheduled for autumn 2018 (but the dates may have changed).

This will see the closure of Mill Lane Junction (Bradford), Halifax, Milner Royd Junction and Hebden Bridge signal boxes. The first two are Railway Signal Co. boxes which have contained panels for 40 years or more; Milner Royd Junction is the last surviving Yardley/Smith Type 2 box, and contains a 20 lever Railway Signal Co. frame, and Hebden Bridge is a standard L&Y box fitted with a 38 lever L&Y frame. Hebden Bridge box is listed and it is hoped that it can be preserved in situ as a visitor attraction (the station retains many now unique L&Y features and is itself, as I understand it, also listed); unfortunately it seems that the others will be demolished.

I believe (unless anyone else knows otherwise!) that the Absolute Block-worked section of line between Hebden Bridge and Milner Royd is the last on NR to be controlled by L&Y Block Instruments and bells; and so another era will draw to a close when the "migration" occurs.

Chris.
Chris L
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - current