Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Routing codes - horn and bell

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Routing codes - horn and bell

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:34 am

I have recently heard that trains for the Corby direction at Manton Junction whistle (1 long 1 short) approaching Ashwell, and that Ashwell, Langham and Oakham then use a special TES (2-2-2) forward to Manton. Reference to the online sectional appendix confirms the first part of this.

Once upon a time this would have been routine and unremarkable. However, things have moved on and it might be that this is the last actual use of such a combination of whistle and bell codes. Does anyone know differently?
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Re: Routing codes - horn and bell

Unread postby Roger Bell » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:16 am

Interesting that this is still in use. Before Manton Junc was remodelled in the late 80's the 2-2-2 on line code was used for the Peterborough direction (still considered the branch despite carrying the vast majority of the traffic by then).
Roger
Roger Bell
Roger Bell
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:19 am

Stuart Johnson wrote:Once upon a time this would have been routine and unremarkable. However, things have moved on and it might be that this is the last actual use of such a combination of whistle and bell codes. Does anyone know differently?

I agree, this is remarkably remarkable. The whistle code side of things was generally abandoned after the introduction of four-character headcodes. Maybe at the time there were a lot of trains on that route with only disc headcodes.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby JG Morgan » Mon Sep 4, 2017 4:50 pm

Pardon me for stating the obvious in a field full of experts, but no trains carry / show four-character head codes nowadays.
Has this historic practice survived on the approach to Manton because this is the only junction of significance on NR controlled by semaphores with an approach of largely semaphores under AB for a few blocks?

Shrewsbury, of course, is still a big junction controlled by semaphores. But most / all of its approaches are colour-light controlled, TCB, and there would be no point an approaching train hooting at Birmingham or Manchester to announce its direction at Shrewsbury.
JG Morgan
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Sep 5, 2017 9:30 am

JG Morgan wrote:Pardon me for stating the obvious in a field full of experts, but no trains carry / show four-character head codes nowadays.
Has this historic practice survived on the approach to Manton because this is the only junction of significance on NR controlled by semaphores with an approach of largely semaphores under AB for a few blocks?

Shrewsbury, of course, is still a big junction controlled by semaphores. But most / all of its approaches are colour-light controlled, TCB, and there would be no point an approaching train hooting at Birmingham or Manchester to announce its direction at Shrewsbury.

Nothing semaphore at Manton Junction these days and there hasn't been for some years, the box contains a small NX panel. There are of course semaphores next door at Oakham and beyond.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Late Turn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:42 pm

JG Morgan wrote:Has this historic practice survived on the approach to Manton because this is the only junction of significance on NR controlled by semaphores with an approach of largely semaphores under AB for a few blocks?

I don't know the official answer, whether it's because the higher powers believe that the routing codes continue to be useful or whether it's just because they haven't bothered to change things. When I used to work the boxes involved, though, they made life very much easier on a few occasions, with a reliance on manual TRUST reports, a number of freight trains in quick succession on the Up and the opportunity for them to be jumbled up at both Melton and Oakham.
Late Turn
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Sat Sep 16, 2017 7:55 pm

Late Turn wrote:I don't know the official answer, whether it's because the higher powers believe that the routing codes continue to be useful or whether it's just because they haven't bothered to change things. When I used to work the boxes involved, though, they made life very much easier on a few occasions, with a reliance on manual TRUST reports, a number of freight trains in quick succession on the Up and the opportunity for them to be jumbled up at both Melton and Oakham.

Thanks for that, it's good that there may well be a sound operational reason for the survival. The lack of any evidence that there might be other locations still using such a combination of codes does suggest that this one is now unique.
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Return to Signalling - current