Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Birmingham New Street

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Birmingham New Street

Unread postby Train approaching » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:50 am

I see that the next stage of resignalling is to take place next month, with the migration of the route from New Street to Soho to the Saltley Signalling Centre, at Birmingham New Street PSB. Am I right in thinking this is the second stage of the project? After Soho what is next to migrate and is the New Street resignalling project just that or are there any track alterations due to take place? I imagine the loco holding sidings outside of the box may go during the final stage in December next year. Like the now closed former bay platforms, they see little use since loco hauled services came to an end.
Train approaching
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Birmingham New Street

Unread postby The Planner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:57 pm

This is phases 4&5, Phase 6 which covers from Proof House to Hampton in Arden/Bradnocks Marsh plus Stechford to Aston is late May next year. Phase 7 which is the station itself is 2020 at the earliest.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Train approaching » Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:55 pm

Thanks for this information.

Was December 2018 the original date for the closure of New Street signal box, which would had seen the station area become the last part to migrate to the West Midlands Signalling Centre?

If so, is it just a case of costs being to blame for the delay?
Train approaching
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Train approaching » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:07 pm

This is what was written in the Rail Engineer around a year ago:

Network Rail’s London North West (South) Route Infrastructure Projects (Signalling) team, led by Elgan Davis, has been managing the renewal of the signalling infrastructure. The programme started with Coventry PSB area in 2007 and will be almost complete when New Street station is resignalled in December 2018.
Train approaching
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:03 pm

I seem to recall there was some suggestion that there was no way of compliantly resignalling the station without crippling the service - this may perhaps have some bearing on the new franchisee's plan to combine services.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby The Planner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Its like for like, derogation central I assume.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby The Planner » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:19 pm

Train approaching wrote:This is what was written in the Rail Engineer around a year ago:

Network Rail’s London North West (South) Route Infrastructure Projects (Signalling) team, led by Elgan Davis, has been managing the renewal of the signalling infrastructure. The programme started with Coventry PSB area in 2007 and will be almost complete when New Street station is resignalled in December 2018.

Its slipped since then, cash and complexity
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:14 am

The Planner wrote:Its like for like, derogation central I assume.

Indeed every signal in the station and the immediate approaches.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby DaveHarries » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Train approaching wrote:I see that the next stage of resignalling is to take place next month, with the migration of the route from New Street to Soho to the Saltley Signalling Centre, at Birmingham New Street PSB. Am I right in thinking this is the second stage of the project? After Soho what is next to migrate and is the New Street resignalling project just that or are there any track alterations due to take place? I imagine the loco holding sidings outside of the box may go during the final stage in December next year. Like the now closed former bay platforms, they see little use since loco hauled services came to an end.

I am happy to stand corrected if wrong, but aren't Stages 4 & 5 the resignalling of New Street to Dudley Port via. Smethwick Galton Bridge?

Either way according to Cross Country's website there are no trains Birmingham to Wolverhampton 27-Dec-2017 to 02-Jan-2018. Diagrams are on RTTT and it appears from these that, a result:

- ATW services from Aberystwyth to Birmingham will terminate at Wolverhampton
- London Midland services between Shrewsbury and Birmingham will also terminate at Wolverhampton.
- VTWC services will divert between Wolverhampton and Birmingham via. Portobello Junction (WM), Darlaston Junction, Bescot Stadium, Perry Barr North Jcn, Aston and Proof House Junction. London Midland services between Liverpool and Birmingham will also follow this diversion as will Cross Country trains.

It is possibly worth noting that this resignalling work will see off the old school BR for NS338 between Galton Bridge and Rolfe Street which is a pity IMO.

HTIOI,
Dave
Last Photo'd: June 2015
Yorkshire (Batley, Cattal, Hammerton, Kirkham, Kiveton Pk, Knaresborough, Poppleton), Teeside (Billingham), Northumberland (Bardon, Haydon Bridge, Hexham, Prudhoe, Wylam) & Lincolnshire (Roxton Sidings)

Next trip: TBC
DaveHarries
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby driver_m » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:55 am

Hi, (long time lurker on here). Good timing by asking this question. The latest weekly ops notice states that stage 6 (the renewal of new st signalling itslef) will be May 2018.

Stages 4&5 are due to come in either side of the new year, these are the soho-perry Barr sections, watery lane-soho and hamstead-duddeston.
driver_m
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby The Planner » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:22 pm

No, the station is phase 7 and is still at least 3 years away.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby driver_m » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:25 pm

Oops your right. I didn't look at the title properly. Proof House to Hampton in Arden. I read it proof House to new street by mistake. I'll slap my own wrist! Noticed a few new pegs going up between Stechford and Adderley Park the other day and that's what fired up the curiosity seeing as Soho itself is fairly imminent.
driver_m
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby The Planner » Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:11 pm

At least Phase 6 unlocks International a bit, flashing yellows on the approaches both ways, rids the double double yellow on the up and platforms 3 and 4 will be able to do fully signalled moves back the way they came instead of the fixed reds.
The Planner
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby driver_m » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:57 am

Are the PRI's staying on the down approaching International?
driver_m
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:31 am

driver_m wrote:Are the PRI's staying on the down approaching International?

Staying on the down with extra routes added and new ones on the up.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Next

Return to Signalling - current