Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Monk's Siding

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Monk's Siding

Unread postby Bunsen » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:46 pm

Hello, bit of a long shot I guess, but I wonder if someone can help me with this. I have a photo of the up home signals at Monk's Siding. There seem to be a number of cables and 'apparatus' near the base of the post suggestive of the signals being electrically worked, although the signals in question are quite near the box. The photo is to go in a book I am writing so I need to be accurate about this. Can anyone help?
Bunsen
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Monk's Siding

Unread postby Mark Lamb » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:51 pm

I assume this is a photo of the up home 1 signal whilst it was still mechanical, before the work that abolished Crosfields Crossing, and down-graded Littons Mill to crossing box status. It then became a colour-light.

As the signal boxes of Monks Sidings, Littons Mill, Crosfields Crossing and Arpley Junction were all situated close together, there was a complex arrangement of slotting between the relevant distant signals (and one of the home signals too, but not at Monks). Latterly, the distants were fixed at caution - or at least disconnected, if not formally fixed - due, I suspect, to wear and tear in the mechanisms coupled with the low speed nature of the line. However, all the apparatus and arm / slot proving contact boxes remained in-situ.

At Monks, the Up Goods Home 1 signal had a motor-worked distant arm beneath it (acting as both the the Outer distant for Crosfields, and the Outer Distant for Littons Mill), whilst the Up Goods Home 2 signal had a wire-worked arm beneath it (acting as the Second distant for Crosfields, and the Inner Distant for Littons Mill).

So I guess your photo shows some of the mechanical slotting arrangements, etc.

It would be useful if someone could post a diagram showing these four boxes and how they relate to each other. It gets very confusing if any numbers are added, as a few of them had identical numbers for the same signals!

Hope this helps (but not sure that it does!)

Mark
Mark Lamb
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Bunsen » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:59 am

Yes it does. Many thanks. I think what I'm looking at is the motorised distant. The photograph I'm referring to was taken in 1991, so presumably at that time it was still a worked distant. The extra information you have given me will enable me to write a more informed caption for the photo. Thanks again.
Bunsen
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby driver_m » Mon Dec 4, 2017 4:47 pm

I've got some photos from 1998, when I worked there. I'll try and scan them in if i can find them.
driver_m
Trainee
Trainee

Return to Signalling - current