Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Re-Signalling at Frodsham Juntion

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re-Signalling at Frodsham Juntion

Unread postby HowdenClough » Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:16 pm

Does anyone have a date for the actual commissioning of the new signalling/panel at Frodsham Junction, prior to the reinstatement of regular services over the Halton Curve later in 2018 ?
HowdenClough
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Re-Signalling at Frodsham Juntion

Unread postby LowdhamGPR » Tue Jan 2, 2018 10:33 pm

No Date as such but I believe the new signalling is aimed for May when Halton Junction and Runcorn boxes shut.
I'm possibly going to be there soon'ish and will update when I know more.
LowdhamGPR
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby driver_m » Wed Jan 3, 2018 12:43 am

Weekly ops notices are saying stage 1 of weaver - edge hill Resignalling is going over on may 9th. Whether this actually happens, and also if its just the main line itself being sent over to the ROC for now, that's upto NR.
driver_m
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Appleton » Wed Jan 3, 2018 7:39 pm

I believe the semaphore signals will be removed and replaced by colour light ones (amongst other work) during two weekend blockades.
The seldom used loop is being retained but shortened by 25 metres.
The shell of the box is being used to house the new IFS panel that will be going in by 5th March (not sure how accurate the date I've been told is though). The new relay room is already in place adjacent to the box.

All the ironwork within the signal box will he removed to accommodate the panel and obviously when Halton Junction box goes in May, Frodsham will work to Ashburys ROC for services to/from Runcorn.
Appleton
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Baffled boffin » Sat Jan 6, 2018 1:40 am

I have heard that Blackpool migration will be the last for some time time now. So these boxes may live on yet.
S&T
Baffled boffin
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Freightmaster » Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:02 am

Baffled boffin wrote:I have heard that Blackpool migration will be the last for some time time now...

The last what? Resignalling scheme in North West England?

MARK
Freightmaster
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby driver_m » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:11 pm

Frodsham supposed to be shut out now for a week to change things over. Signal from halton direction was bagged up and ready. 19th when it is supposed to come back into working.
driver_m
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby LowdhamGPR » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:26 pm

I passed out Frodsham a couple of weeks ago and had one night turn there prior to the 9th February.

Friday 9th February 2018 was the date when, after the passage of the last train, Frodsham Junction ceased to be a mechanical box.

Over that weekend and this coming weekend there were / are indeed two blockades.

Frodsham has been switched out now since that date and the block section is Norton to Helsby with a T3 possession on the Frodsham to Halton chord in situ during the week for both weeks.

The new panel is going in now as i understand it, the semaphores were all removed over the weekend 10th / 11th Feb.

I'm off for training on the new panel on Friday in Liverpool so I'll hopefully know more about timescales after that.

Runcorn and Halton are both due to go in May and the ROC will take control of that. Frodsham will then work to the ROC for trains on the chord.

How it will signal trains between Frodsham and Halton between now and May I don't know.

On the Up and Down Main it will continue to work AB to Norton and Helsby Junction.
LowdhamGPR
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby LowdhamGPR » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:44 pm

A couple of my shots taken at Frodsham Jcn. with fairly lenthy text elaborating on what's going on.....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43709405@ ... ed-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43709405@ ... ed-public/
LowdhamGPR
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby LowdhamGPR » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Update..........

The new panel will be operational as of this coming Monday 19th February 2018.

They apparently wanted one of their best men on on Monday to man the box for it's reopening but none of them were available so the duty has fallen to me.

No service trains will use the chord from now until the ROC takes control of the Halton end of the chord in May but trains can be signalled off the chord at the Frodsham end and this may happen if Engineering trains are to use the chord during a T3.
LowdhamGPR
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - current