Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Kings Cross ,Remodelling

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re: Kings Cross ,Remodelling

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:37 pm

JG Morgan wrote:Not only does Cannon Street have no spare capacity, it is inaccessible from Blackfriars. The sidings were disconnected / cut at Metropolitan Junction about 18 months ago as part of the Thameslink programme rebuilding of the whole London Bridge area.

It is reported (I cannot now remember where I read it) that one siding is to be retained from Cannon Street round to buffer stops near Metropolitan Jct. This will enable one train arriving at Cannon Street to be stabled there and thus NOT to need a path out through London Bridge in the morning peak. It will either stay there all day (until the evening peak) or be shunted out via the station during the quieter part of the day.

There was a proposal at one time to do away with the curve from Metropolitan Junction to Cannon Street, but in the final version of Thameslink it stays (see eg 'Modern Railways', December 2017, Thameslink supplement, page 11, where there is a full track diagram). It will continue to be available as a through route, with access to platforms 4-7 at Cannon Street. I believe (though I haven't been that way to confirm) that the curve was recommissioned in the Christmas 2017 blockade.
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby Mike Stone » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:09 pm

A staff briefing apparently referred to North Kent - Thameslink trains using platforms 1,2,3 at London Bridge which would imply reversal at Cannon St - the SE trains so far loaded from that route are at 10/20 minute intervals rather than every 10 which was I am fairly sure was shown in the consultation TT.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:26 pm

The Blackfriars Carriage Line (officially The Carriage Reception Line) has become the Down Snow Hill Spur, a full down direction running line.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - current