Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Greenloaning and Craigo to come back into daily use

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Greenloaning and Craigo to come back into daily use

Unread postby aberbrothock » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:15 pm

I was interested to read in the latest Caledonian Railway Association journal "The True Line" that the mechanical boxes at Greenloaning and Craigo on the Glasgow-Aberdeen route will return to daily use in 2018 to increase line capacity. Can anyone provide confirmation and/or dates when this is likely to happen?

Graham
aberbrothock
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Greenloaning and Craigo to come back into daily use

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:25 pm

It is indeed true, it should start from the May timetable change this year.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby aberbrothock » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:46 pm

Thanks - that's very welcome news.

Does that also mean Inverkeilor will be open daily? It was not mentioned in the Caley journal, but then it's an ex-North British box.
aberbrothock
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:49 pm

I'm not sure if there will be a requirement for Inverkeilor (or Greenloaning, Craigo, Stonehaven or Leuchars for that matter) to open on Sundays, it is two shifted Mondays to Saturdays just now.
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:11 pm

Craigo is presumably required to accommodate the new Aberdeen-Montrose locals. The ecs shunts are shown to sit in MONT1SD and then reverse at Montrose South although it would appear to be simpler to just come out of the siding and leave from the up platform - that said the railcam map doesn't show a signal to come out so maybe it is not possible .
Can't spot anything particular at Greenloaning - unless the long mooted freight traffic from Blackford needs it.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mad Mac » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:06 pm

There’s a main arm to let a Down train depart the Up platform at Montrose - I believe this was put in when Montrose South and Usan closed.
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Main Line » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:42 pm

Mike Stone wrote:Can't spot anything particular at Greenloaning - unless the long mooted freight traffic from Blackford needs it.

I believe that plans is that there will be at least two trains per hour between Dunblane and Perth (the Aberdeen running non-stop from Stirling and a new Dundee service presumably calling at Gleneagles). Some hours there will also be an Inverness service so it may well be that the extra section is needed in order to keep any delays to a minimum. I wonder if Greenloaning will be going when the Stirling boxes and Dunblane close or if it will be retained as the fringe to Edinburgh if this section is needed.
Main Line
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Benhar Jnc » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:50 am

Returning Greenloaning to daily use will offer Dunblane assistance during busier periods but recent observations revealed track removal, which means the loops are no longer an option for holding/passing traffic. If the box is returning to daily usage it will only be offering a much simplified operational capability - splitting the section between Blackford and Dunblane.

As for comments about freight traffic returning to Blackford (for Highland Spring Water factory), there has been talk of this for many years and it never seems to move from investigation to implementation.
...... another trip working to the Dardanelles
Benhar Jnc
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:04 pm

Mad Mac wrote:There’s a main arm to let a Down train depart the Up platform at Montrose - I believe this was put in when Montrose South and Usan closed.

'
The up platform is bi-directional in the SA (although the two arrows indicating the normal direction are beyond the end of the up line) - I wondered if there was perhaps no signalled movement out of the siding into the up platform.
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Mad Mac » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:59 pm

Shunt MN21 has a move back into the platform.
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:41 pm

Benhar Jnc wrote:Returning Greenloaning to daily use will offer Dunblane assistance during busier periods but recent observations revealed track removal, which means the loops are no longer an option for holding/passing traffic. If the box is returning to daily usage it will only be offering a much simplified operational capability - splitting the section between Blackford and Dunblane.

As for comments about freight traffic returning to Blackford (for Highland Spring Water factory), there has been talk of this for many years and it never seems to move from investigation to implementation.

Yes, it will help keep things moving since the signaller at Dunblane currently cannot accept anything from Blackford when terminators are shunting through the road due to the clearing point extending through the crossover. The loops were removed last year after being out of use and plain lined for many years but were far too short for modern freight services anyway. Construction of the Highland Spring loading facility allegedly starts in April this year...
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Benhar Jnc » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:57 pm

Thanks for the update 'Signal-sighter' - the thought of Blackford box having some more interesting moves to consider, other than merely passing traffic will appeal to at least one signaller I know. I really hope that the freight traffic takes off and the return on new infrastructure investment is more than acceptable.

Entry to the old yard is/was by a facing connection - wonder if that will continue or if a trailing connection will be installed up by the starter? If implementation begins in April the track and signalling plans must be available on someone's screen?
...... another trip working to the Dardanelles
Benhar Jnc
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Signal-sighter » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:03 pm

I haven't seen a scheme plan for it yet but I understand the signalling changes are to be kept deliberately minimal. I have seen scheme plans for Aviemore and Pitlochry though...
Signal-sighter
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - current