Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

London Bridge mid-platform signals

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

London Bridge mid-platform signals

Unread postby colin1501 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Passing through London Bridge today - now fully resignalled - I noticed that there are now signals mid-way along most of the platforms, in each direction. You can also see these using the maps facility in the 'Open Train Times' website.

Does anyone know what purpose these serve? The platforms do not appear to have A and B ends - as for example at Birmingham New Street - and I cannot imagine any circumstances in which it would normally be necessary to accommodate two trains in one platform.

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: London Bridge mid-platform signals

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:09 pm

They are there for headway purposes. Allows a second train to start to enter the platform whilst the first is departing.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 pm

I suppose that wouldn't have been considered safe with the Southern's old slam-lock door trains.
Mike Hodgson
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Mike Hodgson wrote:I suppose that wouldn't have been considered safe with the Southern's old slam-lock door trains.

Actually the old signalling used 'ease up' signals at Borough Market Junction instead. I have been in the box when the driver of two 4 SUB units on the Down Cannon Street Local had drawn right up to the rear of a similar 8 car train with just one ground mounted signal between them, so close were the two trains that on seeing me watching him the rear unit driver opened the righthand cab windscreen (hinged to allow the changing of the headcode stencils) and removed the taillamp off of the train in front and then replacing it just before the one in front moved off.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Return to Signalling - current