Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Central London 'PoSA' signalling

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Re: Central London 'PoSA' signalling

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:39 pm

Ashley Hill wrote:Is this line DOO operated? If so no guard to have a ding ding and away SPAD.

I suspect the rules do not differ whether or not DOO. "Ding ding and away" is just a name that means much the same in either circumstance. It is just as easy for a driver to be focussed on closing doors and then just drive away as it is with receiving a bell. Maybe even easier.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Definitely DOO indeed part of the route was the first mainline DOO passenger route (Bedford - St Pancras and Moorgate).
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Webb » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:05 pm

Mike Stone wrote:I sometimes wonder if modern electric trains taking power are unable to control their starting speed below a certain level - leaving Crewe it often appears that a quick start is followed by the train slowing down.

Mike - minor deviation - was your train starting from Crewe? If so, could it be a running brake test? We are very aware at St Albans South of trains which have just come out of the turn-back siding as they do such a test as they pass the box.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:47 pm

John Webb wrote:
Mike Stone wrote:I sometimes wonder if modern electric trains taking power are unable to control their starting speed below a certain level - leaving Crewe it often appears that a quick start is followed by the train slowing down.

Mike - minor deviation - was your train starting from Crewe? If so, could it be a running brake test? We are very aware at St Albans South of trains which have just come out of the turn-back siding as they do such a test as they pass the box.

Good thought and probably correct.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - current