Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Interlaced Track

Technical talk on signalling matters

Re: Interlaced Track

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Fri Jun 9, 2017 7:03 pm

When was the last section of interlaced track taken out?
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Fri Jun 9, 2017 7:45 pm

John Hinson wrote:It was indeed interlaced track, the reason it was dispensed with had something to do with electrification and the alignment of juice rails . . .

John

Sorry John, you may have misunderstood me, I agree that Bollo Lane had two sets of rails that ran from the crossing nose to the point blades but normally true interlaced track had two sets of crossing noses, one at each end where as Bollo Lane ended at a set of point blades which is why I described them as very long points even if the two sets of rails ran together for a couple of hundred yards before splitting off to Acton Lane/Gunnesbury.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby scarpa » Fri Jun 9, 2017 9:05 pm

A site where the track was interlaced for a long time due to rockfalls was between Parton and Harrington a few years ago. Anybody know whether its still in place? I recall the lines being track circuited but with AB in place.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:58 am

Fast Line Floyd wrote:Sorry John, you may have misunderstood me, I agree that Bollo Lane had two sets of rails that ran from the crossing nose to the point blades but normally true interlaced track had two sets of crossing noses, one at each end where as Bollo Lane ended at a set of point blades which is why I described them as very long points even if the two sets of rails ran together for a couple of hundred yards before splitting off to Acton Lane/Gunnesbury.

We shall have to agree to disagree . . . and I have the Ministry's report on that work on my side. :)

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:59 am

scarpa wrote:A site where the track was interlaced for a long time due to rockfalls was between Parton and Harrington a few years ago. Anybody know whether its still in place? I recall the lines being track circuited but with AB in place.

I wasn't aware of interlaced track in "Avalanche Alley" - I thought the line was singled for that?

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:46 am

I seem to recollect that at one time Selby swing bridge had interlaced track (or, rather, long points) in one road.
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby scarpa » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:14 pm

Correction !avalanche Alley Cumbria coast singled as John pointed out.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:29 am

davidwoodcock wrote:I seem to recollect that at one time Selby swing bridge had interlaced track (or, rather, long points) in one road.

At one time both lines were interlaced/ long points. This was to get all the point blades and associated equipment on the signalbox (Selby North) side of the bridge. The up side was altered first but I think the points on the far side of the bridge simply became unworked. Correction to that will be welcomed!
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby stevej » Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:31 am

G'day, We refer to this as gauntlet track. There were examples down-under, the most famous being the old Como Bridge over the Georges River on the Illawarra line in the southern suburbs of Sydney. The Down and UP lines being interlaced due to the narrow width of the bridge. Being at the bottom of a 1 in 40 there were also run-away catch points. The old bridge was replaced with the current two track bridge in the early 1970s. The old bridge still existing as a cycle way. It would have been interesting in the steam days with freight trains hurtling down to the gauntlet track. Steve.
stevej
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:43 pm

Cheers Steve. Well it seems that Interlaced (or Gauntlet) track is becoming pretty much obsolete on mainlines around the world. I understand some tramways still have it but I cannot imagine NR or others ever installing it these days. Unless of course others know different....?
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Previous

Return to S&T Department