Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Facing Point Lock Insulations

Technical talk on signalling matters

Facing Point Lock Insulations

Unread postby Adrian Crafer » Thu Oct 5, 2017 10:44 am

Unipart, appear to be phasing out the insulations for facing point locks and associated drive rods. This is understandable as the number of mechanical style locks Network Rail must be declining. I have gone direct to Unipart Rail's supplier and obtained quotes for the manufacture of a batch. To be cost effective I have to order a significant quantity, if anyone is interested, please PM me and I will advise what will be available.

Adrian
Adrian Crafer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Facing Point Lock Insulations

Unread postby Richard Pike » Fri Oct 6, 2017 6:27 am

I've just ordered a load of stuff for a big railway mechanical job that includes four kit insulations and fpl stretchers plus a goodly number of insulated rods. I've not been advised of any non availability.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Danny252 » Fri Oct 6, 2017 8:28 am

Richard Pike wrote:I've not been advised of any non availability.

I received similar comments when I linked this thread elsewhere, although I can't personally make any statements one way or the other.
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Adrian Crafer » Fri Oct 6, 2017 12:42 pm

As I said the advice I had was they were being phased out, and hence my investigation of supply. At the time I first investigated, the insulated plate for both lock and drive rod were available, the sleeve for the lock bar was also available, but the insulated washers, common toboth parts, and the long sleeve for the rod joint was no longer available. The washers have now re-appeared but the sleeve has not. So it looks as though I may not be placing a bulk order for these at this time.

Adrian
Adrian Crafer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby scarpa » Fri Oct 6, 2017 9:25 pm

From an installation view for reliability its been a long held procedure to use an insulated plate on the outside of a lock stretcher instead of insulated washers which could split when the nut is tightened.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to S&T Department