Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Flasher relay, PC148

Technical talk on signalling matters

Flasher relay, PC148

Unread postby Richard Pike » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:21 pm

As part of some upgrading works at my Ely Dock Junction it is proposed to make the red indications flash when a lever is timing out. I have in my possession a pin code 148 flasher unit. All i can find out about it is '12/24v indication flasher unit for flashing level crossing indications'

Does anyone have any further information regarding it's use and output? Does it flash the indication directly or operate a relay?
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Re: Flasher relay, PC148

Unread postby mikewturner » Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi Richard

It will flash the indication directly and being solid state does not need to be economised when not being used. We usually create a B12(F) busbar for ease of use. I am sure it is rated at 4A.

Send me a PM with your email address and I will forward the internal wiring diagram.

Regards

Mike
mikewturner
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:37 pm

I am experiencing some difficulties with my flasher unit. It spends 99% of it's time off load and gets far too hot. I've already killed one unit and now a second is going the same way with overheating visible on one of the circuit boards. Is there something i can do to stop the overheating? Should the unit be on load permanently? Where i've come across these units in use on NR i have seen evidence of similar problems.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby mikewturner » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:50 pm

Richard Pike wrote:I am experiencing some difficulties with my flasher unit. It spends 99% of it's time off load and gets far too hot. I've already killed one unit and now a second is going the same way with overheating visible on one of the circuit boards. Is there something i can do to stop the overheating? Should the unit be on load permanently? Where i've come across these units in use on NR i have seen evidence of similar problems.

Hi Richard

Unipart have recently made a slight mod to the board on behalf of NR to remove this problem. I will dig out the details as it's something you can easily do yourself if being used off the network.

Mike
mikewturner
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:27 pm

That would be fantastic thank you.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby CJTurner » Tue Jun 7, 2011 11:05 am

Mike,

I'm having the same issue with the PC148 flasher relay, I have been informed there is a mod for the flasher relay but nobody has informed me what it is, any further information would be greatfully recieved.
CJTurner
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Alistair Larter » Tue Jun 7, 2011 8:21 pm

I have just acquired one of these and it has a label on it saying modified unit. Will this be the mod been discussed here
Alistair Larter
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Wiltssignal » Mon Feb 9, 2015 12:12 pm

We are working on a level crossing project in Dorset and our designer has suggested the use of a PC148 flasher unit to provide a flashing non-vital indication, However we cannot find any details or specifications on this unit. Does anyone have a data sheet or other details that they could send me?

Thanks, Kevin
Wiltssignal
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Dhanya S » Thu Apr 6, 2017 11:30 am

I am in the same boat as Kevin above. If any of you have got some information, I would appreciate if you are able to share it, please.

Kevin - did you have much luck with finding the information two years ago?

Thanks in advance
Dhanya S
Trainee
Trainee

Return to S&T Department