Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Hessay Road gate box

Technical talk on signalling matters

Re: Hessay Road gate box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:29 pm

Mike Hodgson wrote:Looking at the crossing gates on Streetview, they appear to be locked across the line by simple bolts dropped into the ground.
Manual gates with wheels.

The bolts will only be to hold the gates open to road traffic. In fact the key lock unit can be seen on the clapping post with the key in situ.
Mike Hodgson wrote:Courtesy of Google, this photo shows the crossing with instruments behind the frame, not seen on the photo at the top of the thread.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30324026@ ... 206927875/

This photo shows lever 1 as brown, with its keys as one would expect. Lever normal, signal levers reversed. Also additional electrics above the frame.

Now thats interesting! Lever 6 no longer has a shortened stroke and I can't see the hole for the Annetts lock plunger. Is this the same frame? I wonder if the frame has been moved and it was easier to replace it. If so it is quite a coincidence that the new one also has six levers.
Mike Hodgson wrote: http://community.dur.ac.uk/paul.hodgkin ... ossing.jpg
I suspect lever 1 and the keys are redundant and the frame relocked electrically, perhaps something to do with the treadles?

They won't be redundant, but the frame has gained additional electrical apparatus which, along with the treadle(s?), is I'm sure to do with Moreton on Lugg controls. As to wether MoL controls are relevant to a crossing with hand worked gates I'm not at all sure!
Mike Hodgson wrote:The crossing has wickets - were they perhaps once locked by 6?
I think that unlikely, especially post Elsenham.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby David Holden » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:55 pm

Quadrants bolted to flat bar, about 3" by 3/4" are I believe, a BR version, indeed what appear in the BRSM drawings. What are all the bits on the right hand end of the frame, looks like two shafts disappearing through the flooring?
David Holden
David Holden
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:59 pm

Having studied the pictures more thoroughly, I am pretty certain that the frame has been moved- the background has become a brick wall. Unfortuneatley I cannot read the description plates which would give a clue as to wether it was on the opposite side of the line.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:19 am

Pete2320 wrote:The lever will be as far reverse as it goes. The same considerations will apply as to lever 6 but it also seems to have been common practice to short stroke the levers for key locks to make it easier for the operator to insert the keys. Whilst this was very useful in boxes equipped with full size McK&H frames, where the levers come very well over when reverse, it is of marginal benefit with this type of frame.

What actually stops the lever being moved to a position to free the other levers?

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby kbarber » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:47 am

John Hinson wrote:
Pete2320 wrote:The lever will be as far reverse as it goes. The same considerations will apply as to lever 6 but it also seems to have been common practice to short stroke the levers for key locks to make it easier for the operator to insert the keys. Whilst this was very useful in boxes equipped with full size McK&H frames, where the levers come very well over when reverse, it is of marginal benefit with this type of frame.

What actually stops the lever being moved to a position to free the other levers?

John

If you look at the recent photo you can see the lock engaged in the lever runners, so I suspect lever 1 (half) reversed is the 'normal' position, with all signals locked and keys free to be removed. Then returning the lever to normal releases all other levers. Unless my eyes deceive me.
kbarber
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:51 am

Thanks, a closer look and I agree with you. It seems so odd to me that there isn't an engagement point for the lever shoe to line it up but I suppose you would get used to it soon enough.

My eyes, not yours . . .

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Nicko » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:27 pm

MoL controls have been applied to most manual gates. I worked on a number of frames in the North East to devise a novel solution to apply the controls.
Nicko
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Nicko » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:39 pm

MoL controls can been seen in FARSAP videos of Whixley and Wilstrop gate boxes. However the presence of it is not stated by NR commentator. The controls on these two crossings are driven off AWS suppression circuitry.
Nicko
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:03 pm

Just a follow-up to say that I concur this was a "standard" frame as Pete2320 said - I have come across a picture of the interior of Nether Poppleton and it has the same type of frame although boxed in with timber. A significant common factor (to me) is the oval brass plates which I haven't seen on any other NER type of frame. It also has the gate lever in mid-position with the catch handle up, although the detail of the quadrant is too dark to show the detail.

Best regards,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Webb » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:39 pm

I've just been looking at a video "Heritage DMUs in Yorkshire", published 2006 by CineRail in their 'Traction Archive' series - of which it is number 4. It has film taken along the York-Harrogate line in 1964, and shows much of the signalling arrangements at that time, including an eclectic mix of upper and lower quadrant signals - some of the latter still in NER slotted posts.

The film shows the operation of the Hessay Road ground frame, and the left-hand lever is clearly in the vertical position as the gate lock keys are inserted before it is restored to the normal position. The film moves on down the line and at Hopperton, a very similar frame is shown - again the lever taking the gate keys is vertical. It's not clear (the frame is seen nearly end on) but the release lever appears to be at the right-hand end.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Previous

Return to S&T Department