Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

LNER signal lamp?

Technical talk on signalling matters

LNER signal lamp?

Unread postby john_m » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Does anyone know if there was a standard LNER signal lamp, possibly of the Adlake pattern? I've searched all the NRM databases of GA drawings and found nothing.

I've obtained some photos of an LMS branded Adlake No. 22 signal lamp and thought there may be an LNER version. I don't know much about the development of the signal lamp up to early BR days but have found a reference to brochures about Adlake 33, 55 12/1, 6013 and 6019 Long Burning signal lamps. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any.

I'd like to draw up an accurate 3D model of one and get some printed.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

john_m
john_m
Trainee
Trainee

Re: LNER signal lamp?

Unread postby Pete2320 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:39 pm

There does seem to have been an LNER standard lamp. Made of cast iron, I don't think they were Adlake. Can't add much else.

Pete.
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby john_m » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:40 am

Hi Pete,

Thanks for that confirmation. Much appreciated. I agree with you.
Since I posted I have found some images on the internet of what appears to be LNER Standard Signal Lamps. They have "Lamp Manufacturing & Railway Supplies Company Ltd London" cast into the back. Also a patent number 196218, HS68 and LNER cast in the back too. I can't see what is cast on the lid of one. However the other has similar wording cast on the lid to that on the back but S40A instead of HS68 and no LNER.
They do appear to be different from the LMS Adlake lamps.
I wonder if anyone knows their dimensions? They seem to have a square cross section and taper at the bottom with a circular mounting? disc on the base.

john_m
john_m
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Pete2320 » Sun Oct 2, 2016 10:46 am

John, if nobody comes up with what you need beforehand, I'll take some pictures including a ruler for you when I get the chance in a fortnight or so. PM me your email address.

Pete.
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Andrew Waugh » Mon Oct 3, 2016 10:36 am

john_m wrote:Since I posted I have found some images on the internet of what appears to be LNER Standard Signal Lamps. They have "Lamp Manufacturing & Railway Supplies Company Ltd London" cast into the back. Also a patent number 196218, HS68 and LNER cast in the back too. I can't see what is cast on the lid of one. However the other has similar wording cast on the lid to that on the back but S40A instead of HS68 and no LNER.
They do appear to be different from the LMS Adlake lamps.
I wonder if anyone knows their dimensions? They seem to have a square cross section and taper at the bottom with a circular mounting? disc on the base.

The patent was easily found on espacenet...

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/originalDocument?CC=GB&NR=196218A&KC=A&FT=D&ND=3&date=19230419&DB=en.worldwide.espacenet.com&locale=en_EP

GB196218(A), Improvements in and relating to railway signal lamps, 19 Apr 1923, Harold Anthony Pidduck & Samual Arthur Whillock, both of London.

If you look at the original document (one of the options in the list on the left), page 3 has drawings of the signal lamp. It might be the one you're interested in. When looking at the original document, there is an option to download the original patent as a PDF.
Andrew Waugh
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Oct 3, 2016 12:26 pm

Here's a picture of the casing illustrated in that patent:
http://shop.studio433.co.uk/index.php?r ... ct_id=2053

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Mon Oct 3, 2016 12:36 pm

I am amazed they could get a patent for something as trivial putting hinge lugs on both sides of a lamp casting - I wonder if we could get away with that for fridge doors?
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby john_m » Mon Oct 3, 2016 3:23 pm

Hi Andrew,
Many thanks for that. Saved me a trip to the Leeds Patent Library.
I've downloaded the patent and as you said there are some useful drawings and because it is a reduced version of an original scale drawing it is very useful. If I can get some basic dimensions from an original lamp I could use these to get some more measurements.

john_m
john_m
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby john_m » Mon Oct 3, 2016 3:36 pm

Hi John,
Thanks for that photo. I didn't realise the same lamp was used on Level Crossing Gates!
Looks like there's some on ebay, one a Welch patent.

john_m
john_m
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Richard Pike » Mon Oct 3, 2016 4:22 pm

Versions of this lamp i have come across..

Small bullseye for disc signal or miniature arm.
Small bullseye with side mirror for calling on arm
Intermediate sized bullseye for?
Large single sided bullseye for main signal lamp
Large single sided red bullseye for buffer stop
Large double sided red bullseyes for crossing gates
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby john_m » Tue Oct 4, 2016 3:37 pm

Hi Richard,
Quite a variety! Thanks.
I've also seen what was purported to be a GE version (maybe meant from the GE area) of the standard LNER lamp with a semi-circular shield over the top third of the circumference of the lens, probably to direct the light.

john_m
john_m
Trainee
Trainee

Return to S&T Department