Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX


Railway signalling discussion

Mystery switch panel (=Lamp Repeater)

Technical talk on signalling matters

Re: Mystery switch panel (=Lamp Repeater)

Unread postby kbarber » Sun Jan 8, 2017 2:16 pm

Bob Davies wrote:There is only one point to add to JRB's reply which is that the audible alarm sounds if the lamp is re-illuminated with the switch in the 'acknowledge' position.

marka108 wrote:i was lead to believe they were for semaphores with an electric lamp, or a two aspect colored light, the bulbs had two filaments, a&b when filament "a" blew the buzzer sounded and you flicked the switch to b which illuminated the other filament. the button at the bottom was a confidence check to test the buzzer. i wasn't around when paraffin was in use ...

I have never seen one of these units used for colour-light signals of any kind, but that of course does not mean that they never were. However, the lamp proving for twin-filament bulbs was completely different, with filament changeover carried out in the signal head.

The one I have was quite definitely used for a 4-aspect c/l and its banner repeater (Engine Shed Jc No. 4 signal, down line from Moorgate, London side of Kentish Town Station).
User avatar
kbarber
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:12 pm
Location: London

Re: Mystery switch panel (=Lamp Repeater)

Unread postby Pete2320 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:56 pm

marka108 wrote:i was lead to believe they were for semaphores with an electric lamp, or a two aspect colored light, the bulbs had two filaments, a&b when filament "a" blew the buzzer sounded and you flicked the switch to b which illuminated the other filament. the button at the bottom was a confidence check to test the buzzer. i wasn't around when paraffin was in use ...

Semaphores rarely had double filament bulbs. Colour lights usually do (though not always, particularly on the LMS/LMR) Where double filaments were provided, changeover would occur automatically often by a relay in the signal head. The switch on the indicator was only to cancel the alarm which would sound again when the main filament was restored or the semaphore relit reminding the signalman to put the switch back to normal. When used with colour lights and unless special circuitry was used to prevent it, the alarm would sound each time the signal changed to or from the faulty aspect which could be useful as it was possible to tell which aspect was faulty.
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box
 
Posts: 2113
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:50 pm
Location: Barton on Humber

Re: Mystery switch panel (=Lamp Repeater)

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:26 pm

Electrically lit semaphores (intensified lights) on the LMR had (in my experience) a completely different switch unit with a bell of significant volume.

John
Image
‹(•¿•)›
User avatar
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6800
Joined: Thu Nov 8, 2007 1:13 pm
Location: at my computer

Re: Mystery switch panel (=Lamp Repeater)

Unread postby Mad Mac » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:24 pm

John Hinson wrote:Electrically lit semaphores (intensified lights) on the LMR had (in my experience) a completely different switch unit with a bell of significant volume.

John

The few I encountered on ScR were similarly arranged.
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief
 
Posts: 634
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:47 pm

Re: Mystery switch panel (=Lamp Repeater)

Unread postby Pete2320 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:27 pm

John Hinson wrote:Electrically lit semaphores (intensified lights) on the LMR had (in my experience) a completely different switch unit with a bell of significant volume.

John

I'd forgotten about those! In many ways these were the LMS equivalent of the LNER mechanical colour lights and a lamp failure might have been considered more important than in a pure semaphore. Did any special instructions apply to these signals.
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box
 
Posts: 2113
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:50 pm
Location: Barton on Humber

Re: Mystery switch panel (=Lamp Repeater)

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:44 pm

Pete2320 wrote: I'd forgotten about those! In many ways these were the LMS equivalent of the LNER mechanical colour lights and a lamp failure might have been considered more important than in a pure semaphore. Did any special instructions apply to these signals.

None that I remember . . .

John

PS - the LMS had mechanical colour-lights too, but let's not drift there.
Image
‹(•¿•)›
User avatar
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin
 
Posts: 6800
Joined: Thu Nov 8, 2007 1:13 pm
Location: at my computer

Re: Mystery switch panel (=Lamp Repeater)

Unread postby Pete2320 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:43 pm

John Hinson wrote:
PS - the LMS had mechanical colour-lights too, but let's not drift there.

Ohhh. Never knew that but I'll avoid a drift.
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box
 
Posts: 2113
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:50 pm
Location: Barton on Humber

Re: Mystery switch panel (=Lamp Repeater)

Unread postby marka108 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:39 am

Bob Davies wrote:There is only one point to add to JRB's reply which is that the audible alarm sounds if the lamp is re-illuminated with the switch in the 'acknowledge' position.

marka108 wrote:i was lead to believe they were for semaphores with an electric lamp, or a two aspect colored light, the bulbs had two filaments, a&b when filament "a" blew the buzzer sounded and you flicked the switch to b which illuminated the other filament. the button at the bottom was a confidence check to test the buzzer. i wasn't around when paraffin was in use ...

I have never seen one of these units used for colour-light signals of any kind, but that of course does not mean that they never were. However, the lamp proving for twin-filament bulbs was completely different, with filament changeover carried out in the signal head.

thanks forthe info chaps, ive have been fortunate enough to pick and will endevour to follow the wiring, i would presume 12volts would be an acceptable voltage to test the instrument with?
pulling a 100yard semaphore off is easy right?
marka108
Trainee
Trainee
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:39 pm
Location: fife

Previous

Return to S&T Department

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests