Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

WR ground-level frames

Technical talk on signalling matters

WR ground-level frames

Unread postby Chris Osment » Sun Jan 8, 2017 6:49 pm

From time to time I've seen photos of ground-level frames at (G)WR locations which have quadrant plates apparently identical to WR 4" 5-bar vertical tappet frames, but which below the 'floor' level have horizontal locking trays driven by direct tappets (presumably because of the lack of depth for VT). However, as far as I can recall, I've never come across any specific mention of this design in any literature on frame types. Does it have a specific name? Is it purely WR, or did it exists in GWR day at all?
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Re: WR ground-level frames

Unread postby Pete2320 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:03 pm

I think the isasue is that these are genserically ground frames, even if used in ground level signalboxes. As such nothing much has been written in enthusiast circles about ground frames in general hence the lack of references.
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:55 pm

Pete2320 wrote:I think the isasue is that these are genserically ground frames, even if used in ground level signalboxes. As such nothing much has been written in enthusiast circles about ground frames in general hence the lack of references.

You may well be right, but as the 'Guide' to Mechanical Frames listed Stevens 'knee' frames then I had hoped I might find these covered as well. But was the WR version ever used for any ground-level signal-boxes, or always just GFs ? I know that there was a 'stud' ground-level frame used earlier by the GWR in some boxes.
Chris Osment
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Adrian Crafer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:49 am

Chris Osment wrote:From time to time I've seen photos of ground-level frames at (G)WR locations which have quadrant plates apparently identical to WR 4" 5-bar vertical tappet frames, but which below the 'floor' level have horizontal locking trays driven by direct tappets (presumably because of the lack of depth for VT). However, as far as I can recall, I've never come across any specific mention of this design in any literature on frame types. Does it have a specific name? Is it purely WR, or did it exists in GWR day at all?

The frames are described in a General Arrangement Drawing I have as Standard 5 Bar HT Ground Frame. This drawing is dated 1972 but unfortunately does not give a back reference to any preceeding drawing. Most of the component drawingsdate from 1954 to 1958, and were often redrawing of individual components from GWR drawings that had all the components of an assembly, all on one sheet often size 'G'.

There would seem to be no reason why such a frame could not be fitted in a Ground Signal Box the limitation presumably is to whether the required locking could be accomodated. The drawings I have say that the minimum number of levers is five, just add four inches per lever. Presumably like the full size frame insert an intermediate plate at 12'6" and then 12', would maintain stability. Many of the components on these ground frames were the same as on the full size frame. Levers were modified as required, the bottom shoe casting for the levers was different to accomodate a different bottom rail,and the drive to the locking trays was obviously different.

Adrian Crafer
Adrian Crafer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:55 pm

Adrian, thanks for the info.
Chris Osment
Chris Osment
Main line box