Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Westinghouse Style C point machine.

Technical talk on signalling matters

Westinghouse Style C point machine.

Unread postby Richard Pike » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:52 pm

Does anyone have any photo's of a Westinghouse Style C point machine? I have reason to suspect St Ives 46 points were operated by this type of machine. I need to see it the timbering arrangements match what was at St Ives.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Re: Westinghouse Style C point machine.

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:08 pm

I have a complete brochure for the Westinghouse Style C Point Machine. Send me a PM with your current email address (think I might have an older one) and I will send you a copy.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Richard Pike » Wed Feb 1, 2017 2:56 pm

PM sent
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Is Line Clear » Wed Feb 1, 2017 11:59 pm

I may have picture somewhere but at present can't find it. We used to have one at Sheffield Park on Bluebell. I loved the way you could see it withdraw FPL, grind its way across and replace FPL. Simple but effective. It used to work with an LBSC hook selector but now a 'modern' HW machine carries the flag. On occasions I (as a trainee signalman volunteer had to hand wind it) and my Inspector, when supervising me, would tell me to keep a good grip on the handle withdrawn from the receptacle as we walked over the river bridge. "If you drop it in, you will be going into the water to recover it. I will write the report if you don't surface".
7-5-5
Is Line Clear
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby StevieG » Sun Feb 5, 2017 2:44 pm

Is Line Clear wrote: " .... I loved the way you could see it withdraw FPL, grind its way across and replace FPL. Simple but effective. .... "
Hoping not to prompt a flurry of slightly off-topic posts similar to my words following :-
I wasn't personally aware that Westinghouse had produced a machine which worked in this way.
It sounds similar to the point machines used in the 1932 resignalling of King's Cross by SGE (presumably a product of their own), with the FPL rod emerging from one end, rather than the side with the switches drive rod, and passing via two cranks to operate a standard-looking mechanical FPL plunger through the stretcher in the centre of the four-foot.
They seemed to operate remarkably quickly, with a full reversal taking only about 3 seconds.
IIRC hand operation required the crank handle to be inserted vertically into the top cover.
Last edited by StevieG on Tue Feb 7, 2017 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Sun Feb 5, 2017 8:41 pm

The Style C did something similar but the FPL was of the straight through type rather than the out and back of a conventional FPL or as operated by an HA type machine.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby scarpa » Sun Feb 5, 2017 9:08 pm

Are there any style C on NWR in existence? I recall seeing a set along the line Newport to Hereford.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to S&T Department