Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Interlocking Only Levers

Technical talk on signalling matters

Re: Interlocking Only Levers

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Thu Feb 9, 2017 2:43 pm

S&TEngineer wrote:Personally I think the levers should be painted white and labelled accordingly until the function operated by them is commissioned, as per the WR instruction given in my post above.

But the wording of that instruction clearly does not apply to new works not yet provided and preparatory provision of the locking; it is so worded as to apply only to functions that have been disconnected, and defers locking alterations - and presumably implying that they still ought to be made eventually.

I would agree however if all you mean is that both circumstances should be governed by the same arrangements, although I am not keen on levers being all white where they have to be worked - white to me means don't move this lever, it either won't move or won't change anything. I prefer the white + colour arrangement, but I suppose that is a matter of personal preference. I have less of an issue with painting unworked levers in preparation for their ultimate use: for example an all black lever you don't pull for a point that's not there yet is much the same as a black lever you don't pull for some irrelevant point you don't want to reverse, except that as it will be disconnected, I would expect to it to be at the very least collared as a caution against injury though inadvertently pulling a lever offering little resistance.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Roger Bell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:57 am

Thanks to all for your replies which are most helpful. I fully agree that the box diagram on display must reflect the current position at all times - not so difficult to update these days with computer generated diagrams rather than hand drawn.

As an aside, I remember after the Hidden report that as well as having the wiring tidied up, Wroxham box had the white levers newly painted half in their original colours as the locking remained, despite ground connections being long gone - but that's another subject.
Roger Bell
Roger Bell
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:35 pm

Roger Bell wrote:As an aside, I remember after the Hidden report that as well as having the wiring tidied up, Wroxham box had the white levers newly painted half in their original colours as the locking remained, despite ground connections being long gone - but that's another subject.

I think that was an Eastern Region habit, I have seen that elsewhere, some pre-dating the Clapham accident but I'm not sure when they started that. Personally I can't see the need for any colouring other than white as long as the levers are secured in position - I did fall foul at Neasden South once by pulling some white levers to access behind the frame and then finding one had a (dead) electric lock in the reverse position!

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Chris Rideout » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:37 pm

When the remaining mechanical points were converted to power operation at Southampton Central in the early 1980s, the FPL lever leads had labels attached by glue. One of them read: "Release for sigs over 15A" but IIRC the lever was still painted entirely in blue.

Disused siding/FPL/ground signal levers on the Mid-Hants line were indeed painted with the top half white. In both cases the levers were worked to maintain locking.
Chris Rideout
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:41 pm

Chris Rideout wrote:When the remaining mechanical points were converted to power operation at Southampton Central in the early 1980s, the FPL lever leads had labels attached by glue. One of them read: "Release for sigs over 15A" but IIRC the lever was still painted entirely in blue.

That must have been a fairly short-lived situation. By the time I took this picture on 21/11/79, the relevant levers (16 and 18) had no labels and were no longer worked.

They were still painted blue, though, unlike the other three spares (28, 40 and 47), which were white.

Imageby stuart.johnson6
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby Chris Rideout » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:27 pm

Stuart Johnson wrote:That must have been a fairly short-lived situation. By the time I took this picture on 21/11/79, the relevant levers (16 and 18) had no labels and were no longer worked.

They were still painted blue, though, unlike the other three spares (28, 40 and 47), which were white.

Imageby stuart.johnson6

Nice picture to jog my memory! 28 was FPLs - 19A, 29A, & 30B. 40 was FPLs - 39A & 38A I think, but the points were outside the box so I am not sure about the A & B end of 39. 47 was FPL - 46A. I must have made a mistake date wise on the temporary spares and suspect the power points were installed earlier; possibly 1978 or early 1979.
Chris Rideout
Branch line box
Branch line box

Previous

Return to S&T Department