Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Tyer's block bell wiring help needed

Technical talk on signalling matters

Tyer's block bell wiring help needed

Unread postby MARKJAMES » Wed Feb 8, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi hope someone can help I've just got 2 tyre bells with tapper levers and want to use them for bell signalling on a model railway but not sure about the wiring can anyone help please I have 3 terminals "z, e, l" but not sure which to connect to and also the internal wiring I'd like to check is OK too if anyone has or knows of how they are supposed to be worked I'd be very grateful
MARKJAMES
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Tyer's block bell wiring help needed

Unread postby Pete2320 » Wed Feb 8, 2017 2:17 pm

"Zinc, Earth, Line". Zinc is the battery negative and refers to the construction of carbon-zinc batteries. So connect the L terminal of one bell to that of the other and similarly the E terminals. Connect a power supply (battery) to the Z and E terminals of each bell. They are not polarity sensitive but connect both batteries the same way round to avoid a large short circuit current if both tappers are pressed at once. So you might as well stick with negative to Z. you will need about half an amp at 8-12volts.
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Webb » Wed Feb 8, 2017 2:55 pm

The circuit looks like this:

Although in this case I've just realised I've got the batteries the wrong way round! For model railway use where the two bells and tappers are not far apart a common battery or power supply can be used in place of the two separate batteries. So the 'L' terminals are connected together by one wire forming the 'Pole Run' of the diagram, 'E' will be another wire (and the common negative connection) and 'Z' to the (common) positive side of the power supply.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby MARKJAMES » Wed Feb 8, 2017 3:33 pm

That's great thank you
MARKJAMES
Trainee
Trainee

Return to S&T Department