Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

CAD signalling package

Technical talk on signalling matters

CAD signalling package

Unread postby Bob Davies » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:08 pm

Can anyone put me on to a 'cheap' CAD package that either comes with railway signalling wiring symbols or where I can create a set of symbols relatively easily.

I am starting on the massive task of designing the wiring for the relay-based interlocking for my forthcoming model railway. I used PowerPoint for the wiring of my 'proof of concept' layout but I have only done a few sheets of the final design and I am already thoroughly fed up with its shortcomings (in an application for which I must admit it was certainly not designed).

If the CAD system can do such nice things as automatically number contacts and produce analyses, that would be great but I suspect that that only comes with 'professional' systems which I could not justify or afford, so I would be happy simply with the ability to knock out relay circuits.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

[I wondered whether to put this under the Model Railways section but I suspect that most modellers aren't as stupid as me in wanting to do this! Just to give you a feel for the size of this task, I estimate that about 1500 4 c/o varley relays will be involved.]
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: CAD signalling package

Unread postby Bob Davies » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:55 pm

Just to wrap this up so far as I am concerned, I had a good look around on the internet and eventually stumbled across TinyCAD which does everything that I want and best of all is Freeware!!

It is pretty basic so far as railway signalling is concerned (although there is a lot for general electrical engineers) but you can create your own symbol library and I have started a BS376 library of my own. There is not much in it at the moment but if anybody wants to do their own circuit design using this system, I will be happy to share what I have done and perhaps we can build up a more fully-featured library between us.
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:53 pm

Bob Davies wrote:Just to wrap this up so far as I am concerned, I had a good look around on the internet and eventually stumbled across TinyCAD which does everything that I want and best of all is Freeware!!

It is pretty basic so far as railway signalling is concerned (although there is a lot for general electrical engineers) but you can create your own symbol library and I have started a BS376 library of my own. There is not much in it at the moment but if anybody wants to do their own circuit design using this system, I will be happy to share what I have done and perhaps we can build up a more fully-featured library between us.

I was about to say that I use Microsoft Visio but although fully suited to the task and that it also save in the AutoCAD format, it certainly ain't cheap.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby David Holden » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:33 pm

I've used TurboCad, the £40 version. You have to build up your own symbol library etc but quite usable.
David Holden
David Holden
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby marka » Sat May 6, 2017 8:37 pm

I can second the TurboCad range having used it for the last 20 odd years, and gradually upgraded the version every coupl of years

cost around £40, for non proffesional version,

if you prepared to take previous vears version (for example 2016 version) is often sold at even less. sometimes just £20

Turbocad has every good support via its website.

PM me if you would like some electrical drawing to BS376 in turbcad.
Regards
Mark Adlington
marka
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Bob Davies » Sun May 7, 2017 1:14 pm

marka wrote:I can second the TurboCad range having used it for the last 20 odd years, and gradually upgraded the version every coupl of years

cost around £40, for non proffesional version,

if you prepared to take previous vears version (for example 2016 version) is often sold at even less. sometimes just £20

Turbocad has every good support via its website.

PM me if you would like some electrical drawing to BS376 in turbcad.

Thanks for the offer, Mark, but I am now well into the design using TinyCad and, while limited, it does everything that I need so I shall stick with it.
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to S&T Department